Adoption of E-Business by Small and Medium Enterprises in Kenya: Barriers and Facilitators
The study looks into the internet-based electronic business adoption profile of small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) as well as the factors affecting their willingness to adopt ebusiness usage. The study adopted a literature review methodology where a wide spectrum of literature was interrogated. This methodology has its limitation in that there is need to empirically validate the findings through studies in different geographical regions and economic sectors. It is noted that e-business adoption is significantly influenced by its perceived benefits. The benefits are majorly financial. However, based on the literature reviewed, the main barriers to e-business adoption appear to be the unwillingness of managers to be responsible for technological change. Ignorance surrounding the technology is fuelling concerns about security, costs, legislation and interoperability. This paper is presented in the following order: introduction, problem statement, literature review, theoretical framework, methodology, findings, conclusion and recommendations.
Volume (Year): 4 (2014)
Issue (Month): 11 (November)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://hrmars.com/index.php/pages/detail/IJARBSS|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Emrah Acar & Ismail Kocak & Yildiz Sey & David Arditi, 2005. "Use of information and communication technologies by small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) in building construction," Construction Management and Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 23(7), pages 713-722.
- Carson, David & Gilmore, Audrey, 2000. "SME marketing management competencies," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 9(3), pages 363-382, June.
- Walczuch, Rita & Van Braven, Gert & Lundgren, Henriette, 2000. "Internet adoption barriers for small firms in The Netherlands," European Management Journal, Elsevier, vol. 18(5), pages 561-572, October.
- Dutta, Soumitra & Evrard, Philippe, 1999. "Information technology and organisation within European small enterprises," European Management Journal, Elsevier, vol. 17(3), pages 239-251, June.
- Ilsoon Shin, 2006. "Adoption of Enterprise Application Software and Firm Performance," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 26(3), pages 241-256, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:hur:ijarbs:v:4:y:2014:i:11:p:177-187. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Hassan Danial Aslam)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.