The Evolutionary Model of Entrepreneurial Firms' Dependence on Networks: Going beyond the start-up stage
In this paper, we propose a dynamic model of entrepreneurial firms’ dependence on networks. First we argue that five characteristics of entrepreneurial firms result in their high dependence on networks; these five characteristics include entrepreneurial orientation, central role of the entrepreneur, resource constraints, pursuit of flexibility, and niche market focus. We then examine how entrepreneurial firms’ growth is accompanied by the evolution of these five characteristics leading to a shift in the mode through which entrepreneurial firms construct and deploy their networks. In particular, we examine the composition and the stability of entrepreneurial firms’ networks. This paper contributes to building a more integrative theory of entrepreneurship.
Volume (Year): (2006)
Issue (Month): 24 (December)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Av. Dias da Silva, 165, 3004-512 COIMBRA|
Phone: + 351 239 790 500
Fax: + 351 239 40 35 11
Web page: http://notas-economicas.fe.uc.pt/index_en.htm
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lipparini, Andrea & Sobrero, Maurizio, 1994. "The glue and the pieces: Entrepreneurship and innovation in small-firm networks," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 9(2), pages 125-140, March.
- Birley, Sue, 1985. "The role of networks in the entrepreneurial process," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 1(1), pages 107-117.
- Deeds, David L. & Hill, Charles W. L., 1996. "Strategic alliances and the rate of new product development: An empirical study of entrepreneurial biotechnology firms," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 11(1), pages 41-55, January.
- Venkataraman, S. & Van De Ven, Andrew H. & Buckeye, Jeanne & Hudson, Roger, 1990. "Starting up in a turbulent environment: A process model of failure among firms with high customer dependence," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 5(5), pages 277-295, September.
- Jack, Sarah L. & Anderson, Alistair R., 2002. "The effects of embeddedness on the entrepreneurial process," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 17(5), pages 467-487, September.
- Jarillo, J. Carlos, 1989. "Entrepreneurship and growth: the strategic use of external resources," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 4(2), pages 133-147, March.
- Ramachandran, K. & Ramnarayan, S., 1993. "Entrepreneurial orientation and networking: Some Indian evidence," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 8(6), pages 513-524, November.
- Aggarwal, Reena & Rivoli, Pietra, 1991. "Evaluating the costs of raising capital through an initial public offering," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 6(5), pages 351-361, September.
- Ostgaard, Tone A. & Birley, Sue, 1994. "Personal networks and firm competitive strategy--A strategic or coincidental match?," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 9(4), pages 281-305, July.
- Lorenzoni, Gianni & Ornati, Oscar A., 1988. "Constellations of firms and new ventures," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 3(1), pages 41-57.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:gmf:journl:y:2006:i:24:p:48-63. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sara Santos)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.