“Hot Hand” in the National Basketball Association Point Spread Betting Market: A 34-Year Analysis
Download full text from publisher
References listed on IDEAS
- repec:sae:jospec:v:19:y:2018:i:4:p:455-472 is not listed on IDEAS
- Arne Feddersen & Brad R. Humphreys & Brian P. Soebbing, 2018.
"Sentiment Bias in National Basketball Association Betting,"
Journal of Sports Economics,
, vol. 19(4), pages 455-472, May.
- Arne Feddersen & Brad Humphreys & Brian Soebbing, 2013. "Sentiment Bias in National Basketball Association Betting," Working Papers 13-03, Department of Economics, West Virginia University.
- John M. Gandar & William H. Dare & Craig R. Brown & Richard A. Zuber, 1998. "Informed Traders and Price Variations in the Betting Market for Professional Basketball Games," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 53(1), pages 385-401, February.
- Raymond Sauer, 2005. "The state of research on markets for sports betting and suggested future directions," Journal of Economics and Finance, Springer;Academy of Economics and Finance, vol. 29(3), pages 416-426, September.
- Braun, Sebastian & Kvasnicka, Michael, 2013. "National Sentiment and Economic Behavior: Evidence From Online Betting on European Football," EconStor Open Access Articles, ZBW - Leibniz Information Centre for Economics, pages 45-64.
- Rodney J. Paul & Andrew P. Weinbach, 2010. "The Determinants of Betting Volume for Sports in North America: Evidence of Sports Betting as Consumption in the NBA and NHL," International Journal of Sport Finance, Fitness Information Technology, vol. 5(2), pages 128-140, May.
- Leighton Vaughan Williams & David Paton, 1998. "Why are some favourite-longshot biases positive and others negative?," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 30(11), pages 1505-1510.
- Raymond D. Sauer, 1998. "The Economics of Wagering Markets," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 36(4), pages 2021-2064, December.
- Rodney Paul & Andrew Weinbach & Brad Humphreys, 2011. "Revisting the "Hot Hand" Hypothesis in the NBA Betting Market Using Actual Sportsbook Betting Percentages on Favorites and Underdogs," Journal of Gambling Business and Economics, University of Buckingham Press, vol. 5(2), pages 42-56, July.
- Rodney J. Paul & Andrew P. Weinbach, 2005. "Bettor Misperceptions in the NBA," Journal of Sports Economics, , vol. 6(4), pages 390-400, November.
- Brown, William O & Sauer, Raymond D, 1993. "Does the Basketball Market Believe in the Hot Hand? Comment," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 83(5), pages 1377-1386, December.
- Brian P. Soebbing & Brad R. Humphreys, 2013.
"Do Gamblers Think That Teams Tank? Evidence From The Nba,"
Contemporary Economic Policy,
Western Economic Association International, vol. 31(2), pages 301-313, April.
- Soebbing, Brian & Humphreys, Brad, 2010. "Do Gamblers Think That Teams Tank? Evidence from the NBA," Working Papers 2010-13, University of Alberta, Department of Economics.
- Woodland, Linda M & Woodland, Bill M, 1994. " Market Efficiency and the Favorite-Longshot Bias: The Baseball Betting Market," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 49(1), pages 269-279, March.
- J. M. Gandar & Richard Zuber & R. S. Johnson & W. Dare, 2002. "Re-examining the betting market on Major League Baseball games: is there a reverse favourite-longshot bias?," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 34(10), pages 1309-1317.
- David Forrest & Robert Simmons, 2008. "Sentiment in the betting market on Spanish football," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 40(1), pages 119-126.
- Linda M. Woodland & Bill M. Woodland, 2003. "The Reverse Favourite-longshot Bias and Market Efficiency in Major League Baseball: An Update," Bulletin of Economic Research, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 55(2), pages 113-123, April.
- Larsen Tim & Price Joe & Wolfers Justin, 2008. "Racial Bias in the NBA: Implications in Betting Markets," Journal of Quantitative Analysis in Sports, De Gruyter, vol. 4(2), pages 1-21, April.
- Rodney J. Paul & Andrew P. Weinbach, 2008. "Price Setting in the NBA Gambling Market: Tests of the Levitt Model of Sportsbook Behavior," International Journal of Sport Finance, Fitness Information Technology, vol. 3(3), pages 137-145, August.
- Brown, William O & Sauer, Raymond D, 1993. " Fundamentals or Noise? Evidence from the Professional Basketball Betting Market," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 48(4), pages 1193-1209, September.
- Evan Osborne, 2001. "Efficient Markets? Donâ€™t Bet on It," Journal of Sports Economics, , vol. 2(1), pages 50-61, February.
- Camerer, Colin F, 1989. "Does the Basketball Market Believe in the 'Hot Hand'?," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 79(5), pages 1257-1261, December.
- Gray, Philip K & Gray, Stephen F, 1997. " Testing Market Efficiency: Evidence from the NFL Sports Betting Market," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 52(4), pages 1725-1737, September.
- Paul, Rodney J. & Weinbach, Andrew P. & Wilson, Mark, 2004.
"Efficient markets, fair bets, and profitability in NBA totals 1995-96 to 2001-02,"
The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 44(4), pages 624-632, September.
- Rodney J. Paul & Andrew P. Weinbach & Mark Wilson, 2002. "Efficient Markets, Fair Bets, and Profitability in NBA Totals 1995-96 to 2001-02," Working Papers 02-10, Department of Economics, Appalachian State University.
- David Paton & Leighton Vaughan Williams, 2005. "Forecasting outcomes in spread betting markets: can bettors use 'quarbs' to beat the book?," Journal of Forecasting, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 24(2), pages 139-154.
- Steven D. Levitt, 2004. "Why are gambling markets organised so differently from financial markets?," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 114(495), pages 223-246, April.
- Jeremy Arkes, 2011. "Do Gamblers Correctly Price Momentum In Nba Betting Markets?," Journal of Prediction Markets, University of Buckingham Press, vol. 5(1), pages 31-50.
- Avery, Christopher & Chevalier, Judith, 1999. "Identifying Investor Sentiment from Price Paths: The Case of Football Betting," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 72(4), pages 493-521, October.
- Gennaro Bernile & Evgeny Lyandres, 2011. "Understanding Investor Sentiment: The Case of Soccer," Financial Management, Financial Management Association International, vol. 40(2), pages 357-380, June.
- Golec, Joseph & Tamarkin, Maurry, 1991. "The degree of inefficiency in the football betting market : Statistical tests," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(2), pages 311-323, December.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Igan, Deniz & Pinheiro, Marcelo & Smith, John, 2015. "A study of a market anomaly: “White Men Can’t Jump”, but would you bet on it?," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 113(C), pages 13-25.
More about this item
Keywordsbasketball; hot hand; streak; point spread; NBA (National Basketball Association);
- G1 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets
- G2 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services
- G3 - Financial Economics - - Corporate Finance and Governance
- F2 - International Economics - - International Factor Movements and International Business
- F3 - International Economics - - International Finance
- F41 - International Economics - - Macroeconomic Aspects of International Trade and Finance - - - Open Economy Macroeconomics
- F42 - International Economics - - Macroeconomic Aspects of International Trade and Finance - - - International Policy Coordination and Transmission
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:gam:jijfss:v:2:y:2014:i:4:p:359-370:d:42745. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (XML Conversion Team). General contact details of provider: https://www.mdpi.com/ .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.