The economic benefits and risks of derivative securities
Certain events have raised concern about the risks associated with derivatives trading--witness Orange County, California or Procter & Gamble, both of which lost large sums of money using derivatives. However, the popular discussion often loses track of the benefits derivatives hold for firms, investors, and the economy as a whole. Have derivatives received a bum rap? Keith Sill admits that derivatives have risks, especially to the uninitiated, but they also have a great deal of value for the economy as well
Volume (Year): (1997)
Issue (Month): Jan ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 10 Independence Mall, Philadelphia, PA 19106-1574|
Web page: http://www.philadelphiafed.org/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Web: http://www.phil.frb.org/publicaffairs/pubs/index.html Email: |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Grossman, Sanford J, 1988.
"An Analysis of the Implications for Stock and Futures Price Volatility of Program Trading and Dynamic Hedging Strategies,"
The Journal of Business,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 61(3), pages 275-98, July.
- Sanford J. Grossman, 1987. "An Analysis of the Implications for Stock and Futures Price Volatility of Program Trading and Dynamic Hedging Strategies," NBER Working Papers 2357, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gregory P. Hopper, 1995. "A primer on currency derivatives," Business Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia, issue May, pages 3-14.
- Allen, Franklin & Gale, Douglas, 1991.
"Arbitrage, Short Sales, and Financial Innovation,"
Econometric Society, vol. 59(4), pages 1041-68, July.
- Franklin Allen & Douglas Gale, . "Arbitrage, Short Sales and Financial Innovation," Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research Working Papers 10-89, Wharton School Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research.
- Detemple, J.B. & Jorion, P., 1989. "Option Listing And Stock Returns," Papers fb-_89-13, Columbia - Graduate School of Business.
- Anatoli Kuprianov, 1995. "Derivatives debacles: case studies of large losses in derivatives markets," Economic Quarterly, Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond, issue Fall, pages 1-39.
- Stephen A. Ross, 1976. "Options and Efficiency," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 90(1), pages 75-89.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fip:fedpbr:y:1997:i:jan:p:15-26. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Beth Paul)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.