The economic benefits and risks of derivative securities
Certain events have raised concern about the risks associated with derivatives trading--witness Orange County, California or Procter & Gamble, both of which lost large sums of money using derivatives. However, the popular discussion often loses track of the benefits derivatives hold for firms, investors, and the economy as a whole. Have derivatives received a bum rap? Keith Sill admits that derivatives have risks, especially to the uninitiated, but they also have a great deal of value for the economy as well
Volume (Year): (1997)
Issue (Month): Jan ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: 10 Independence Mall, Philadelphia, PA 19106-1574|
Web page: http://www.philadelphiafed.org/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Web: http://www.phil.frb.org/publicaffairs/pubs/index.html Email: |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Detemple, J.B. & Jorion, P., 1989. "Option Listing And Stock Returns," Papers fb-_89-13, Columbia - Graduate School of Business.
- Allen, Franklin & Gale, Douglas, 1991.
"Arbitrage, Short Sales, and Financial Innovation,"
Econometric Society, vol. 59(4), pages 1041-68, July.
- Franklin Allen & Douglas Gale, . "Arbitrage, Short Sales and Financial Innovation," Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research Working Papers 10-89, Wharton School Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research.
- Gregory P. Hopper, 1995. "A primer on currency derivatives," Business Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia, issue May, pages 3-14.
- Sanford J. Grossman, 1987.
"An Analysis of the Implications for Stock and Futures Price Volatility of Program Trading and Dynamic Hedging Strategies,"
NBER Working Papers
2357, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Grossman, Sanford J, 1988. "An Analysis of the Implications for Stock and Futures Price Volatility of Program Trading and Dynamic Hedging Strategies," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 61(3), pages 275-98, July.
- Stephen A. Ross, 1976. "Options and Efficiency," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 90(1), pages 75-89.
- Anatoli Kuprianov, 1995. "Derivatives debacles: case studies of large losses in derivatives markets," Economic Quarterly, Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond, issue Fall, pages 1-39.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fip:fedpbr:y:1997:i:jan:p:15-26. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Beth Paul)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.