Stock Option Listings:Information versus Liquidity Effects
We investigate the impact of options listings on the variance of the underlying stock returns in the Swiss equity market using a non-parametric approach. The emergence of multiple share categories in most Swiss firms, combined with the fact that (listed) options are typically not introduced on all of these categories simultaneously, allows us to discriminate between share specific liquidity effects and firm wide information effects. We are able to attribute the well-known stabilization effects of options listings primarily to these latter information effects. Moreover, the study explicitly differentiates between short and long term variance effects and finds substantial differences in the timely reaction pattern.
Volume (Year): 138 (2002)
Issue (Month): I (March)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: c/o SNB/BNS, Börsenstrasse 15, PO Box 2800, CH-8022 Zürich|
Phone: +41 (0)44 631 32 34
Fax: +41 (0)44 631 39 01
Web page: http://www.sjes.ch
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ohlson, James A. & Penman, Stephen H., 1985. "Volatility increases subsequent to stock splits: An empirical aberration," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 14(2), pages 251-266, June.
- Merton, Robert C., 1980.
"On estimating the expected return on the market : An exploratory investigation,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 8(4), pages 323-361, December.
- Robert C. Merton, 1980. "On Estimating the Expected Return on the Market: An Exploratory Investigation," NBER Working Papers 0444, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Stucki, Thomas & Wasserfallen, Walter, 1994. "Stock and option markets: the Swiss evidence," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 18(5), pages 881-893, October.
- Skinner, Douglas J., 1989. "Options markets and stock return volatility," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 23(1), pages 61-78, June.
- Fulvio Corsi & Gilles Zumbach & Ulrich A. Muller & Michel M. Dacorogna, 2001.
"Consistent High-precision Volatility from High-frequency Data,"
Banca Monte dei Paschi di Siena SpA, vol. 30(2), pages 183-204, 07.
- Fulvio Corsi & Gilles Zumbach & Ulrich Müller & Michel Dacorogna, 2004. "Consistent high-precision volatility from high-frequency data," Finance 0407005, EconWPA.
- Stein, Jeremy C., 1987.
"Informational Externalities and Welfare-Reducing Speculation,"
3660740, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Stein, Jeremy C, 1987. "Informational Externalities and Welfare-Reducing Speculation," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 95(6), pages 1123-45, December.
- Damodaran, Aswath & Lim, Joseph, 1991. "The effects of option listing on the underlying stocks' return processes," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 15(3), pages 647-664, June.
- Grossman, Sanford J, 1988.
"An Analysis of the Implications for Stock and Futures Price Volatility of Program Trading and Dynamic Hedging Strategies,"
The Journal of Business,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 61(3), pages 275-98, July.
- Sanford J. Grossman, 1987. "An Analysis of the Implications for Stock and Futures Price Volatility of Program Trading and Dynamic Hedging Strategies," NBER Working Papers 2357, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Fedenia, Mark & Grammatikos, Theoharry, 1992. "Options Trading and the Bid-Ask Spread of the Underlying Stocks," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 65(3), pages 335-51, July.
- Detemple, J.B. & Jorion, P., 1989. "Option Listing And Stock Returns," Papers fb-_89-13, Columbia - Graduate School of Business.
- Shastri, Kuldeep & Sultan, Jahangir & Tandon, Kishore, 1996. "The impact of the listing of options in the foreign exchange market," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 15(1), pages 37-64, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ses:arsjes:2002-i-5. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Peter Steiner)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.