The extent and impact of outsourcing: evidence from Germany
The authors use data from several sources, including plant-level data from the manufacturing sector in Germany, to expand the literature on outsourcing. They find that, in Germany, the extent of outsourcing among manufacturing industries is higher than among service industries and that the outsourcing intensity of these industries did not change much between 1995 and 2005. They also find a statistically significantly positive impact of industry-level outsourcing intensity on German plant-level labor produc- tivity for both 2000 and 2005. The estimated economic impact of outsourcing on plant-level productivity is also fairly significant.
Volume (Year): (2012)
Issue (Month): July ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.stlouisfed.org/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Web: http://www.stls.frb.org/research/order/pubform.html Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hartmut Egger & Peter Egger, 2006.
"International Outsourcing and the Productivity of Low-Skilled Labor in the EU,"
Western Economic Association International, vol. 44(1), pages 98-108, January.
- Hartmut Egger & Peter Egger, . "International Outsourcing and the Productivity of Low-skilled Labour in the EU," WIFO Working Papers 152, WIFO.
- Holger Görg & Aoife Hanley, 2004.
"Does Outsourcing Increase Profitability?,"
The Economic and Social Review,
Economic and Social Studies, vol. 35(3), pages 267-288.
- Furceri, Davide & Mourougane, Annabelle, 2012.
"The effect of financial crises on potential output: New empirical evidence from OECD countries,"
Journal of Macroeconomics,
Elsevier, vol. 34(3), pages 822-832.
- Davide Furceri & Annabelle Mourougane, 2009. "The Effect of Financial Crises on Potential Output: New Empirical Evidence from OECD Countries," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 699, OECD Publishing.
- Ronald Bachmann & Sebastian Braun, 2011.
"The Impact Of International Outsourcing On Labour Market Dynamics In Germany,"
Scottish Journal of Political Economy,
Scottish Economic Society, vol. 58(1), pages 1-28, February.
- Ronald Bachmann & Sebastian Braun, 2008. "The Impact of International Outsourcing on Labour Market Dynamics in Germany," SFB 649 Discussion Papers SFB649DP2008-020, Sonderforschungsbereich 649, Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany.
- Karsten Bjerring Olsen, 2006. "Productivity Impacts of Offshoring and Outsourcing: A Review," OECD Science, Technology and Industry Working Papers 2006/1, OECD Publishing.
- Francesco Daveri & Cecilia Jona-Lasinio, 2008.
"Off-Shoring and Productivity Growth in the Italian Manufacturing Industries,"
339, IGIER (Innocenzo Gasparini Institute for Economic Research), Bocconi University.
- F. Daveri & C. Jona-Lasinio, 2007. "Off-shoring and productivity growth in the Italian manufacturing industries," Economics Department Working Papers 2007-EP08, Department of Economics, Parma University (Italy).
- Francesco Daveri & Cecilia Jona-Lasinio, 2008. "Off-Shoring and Productivity Growth in the Italian Manufacturing Industries," CESifo Working Paper Series 2288, CESifo Group Munich.
- Moser, Christoph & Urban, Dieter M & Weder di Mauro, Beatrice, 2009. "Offshoring, Firm Performance and Establishment-Level Employment: Identifying Productivity and Downsizing Effects," CEPR Discussion Papers 7455, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Gorzig, Bernd & Andreas Stephan, 2003.
"Outsourcing and Firm-level Performance,"
Royal Economic Society Annual Conference 2003
90, Royal Economic Society.
- Alexander HIJZEN & INUI Tomohiko & TODO Yasuyuki, 2007.
"Does Offshoring Pay? Firm-Level Evidence from Japan,"
07005, Research Institute of Economy, Trade and Industry (RIETI).
- Alexander Hijzen & Tomohiko Inui & Yasuyuki Todo, 2010. "Does Offshoring Pay? Firm-Level Evidence From Japan," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 48(4), pages 880-895, October.
- Alexander Hijzen, & Tomohiko Inui, & Yasuyuki Todo, . "Does Offshoring Pay? Firm-Level Evidence From Japan," Discussion Papers 07/14, University of Nottingham, GEP.
- Gorg, Holger & Hanley, Aoife, 2005. "International outsourcing and productivity: evidence from the Irish electronics industry," The North American Journal of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 16(2), pages 255-269, August.
- Sumon Bhaumik & Saul Estrin, 2005.
"How Transition Paths Differ: Enterprise Performance in Russia and China,"
William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series
wp744, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Bhaumik, Sumon Kumar & Estrin, Saul, 2007. "How transition paths differ: Enterprise performance in Russia and China," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 82(2), pages 374-392, March.
- Bhaumik, Sumon K. & Estrin, Saul, 2005. "How Transition Paths Differ: Enterprise Performance in Russia and China," IZA Discussion Papers 1484, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Bhaumik, Sumon Kumar & Estrin, Saul, 2005. "How Transition Paths Differ: Enterprise Performance in Russia and China," CEPR Discussion Papers 4937, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Michael P. Murray, 2006. "Avoiding Invalid Instruments and Coping with Weak Instruments," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 20(4), pages 111-132, Fall.
- Görg, Holger & Hanley, Aoife & Strobl, Eric, 2007.
"Productivity Effects of International Outsourcing: Evidence from Plant Level Data,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
6361, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Holger Görg & Aoife Hanley & Eric Strobl, 2008. "Productivity effects of international outsourcing: evidence from plant-level data," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 41(2), pages 670-688, May.
- Mary Amiti & Shang-Jin Wei, 2006. "Service Offshoring and Productivity: Evidence from the United States," NBER Working Papers 11926, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Addison, John T & Schnabel, Claus & Wagner, Joachim, 2001. "Work Councils in Germany: Their Effects on Establishment Performance," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 53(4), pages 659-94, October.
- Sumon Bhaumik & Ralitza Dimova & Subal C. Kumbhakar & Kai Sun, 2012.
"Does Institutional Quality Affect Firm Performance? Insights from a Semi-Parametric Approach,"
William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series
wp1029, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Bhaumik, Sumon K. & Dimova, Ralitza & Kumbhakar, Subal C. & Sun, Kai, 2012. "Does Institutional Quality Affect Firm Performance? Insights from a Semiparametric Approach," IZA Discussion Papers 6351, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fip:fedlrv:y:2012:i:july:p:287-304:n:v.94no.4. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Anna Xiao)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.