The extent and impact of outsourcing: evidence from Germany
The authors use data from several sources, including plant-level data from the manufacturing sector in Germany, to expand the literature on outsourcing. They find that, in Germany, the extent of outsourcing among manufacturing industries is higher than among service industries and that the outsourcing intensity of these industries did not change much between 1995 and 2005. They also find a statistically significantly positive impact of industry-level outsourcing intensity on German plant-level labor produc- tivity for both 2000 and 2005. The estimated economic impact of outsourcing on plant-level productivity is also fairly significant.
Volume (Year): (2012)
Issue (Month): July ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: P.O. Box 442, St. Louis, MO 63166|
Web page: http://www.stlouisfed.org/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Web: https://research.stlouisfed.org/publications/ Email: |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Francesco Daveri & Cecilia Jona-Lasinio, 2008.
"Off-Shoring and Productivity Growth in the Italian Manufacturing Industries,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
2288, CESifo Group Munich.
- F. Daveri & C. Jona-Lasinio, 2007. "Off-shoring and productivity growth in the Italian manufacturing industries," Economics Department Working Papers 2007-EP08, Department of Economics, Parma University (Italy).
- Francesco Daveri & Cecilia Jona-Lasinio, 2008. "Off-Shoring and Productivity Growth in the Italian Manufacturing Industries," Working Papers 339, IGIER (Innocenzo Gasparini Institute for Economic Research), Bocconi University.
- Holger Görg & Aoife Hanley & Eric Strobl, 2008.
"Productivity effects of international outsourcing: evidence from plant-level data,"
Canadian Journal of Economics,
Canadian Economics Association, vol. 41(2), pages 670-688, May.
- Görg, Holger & Hanley, Aoife & Strobl, Eric, 2007. "Productivity Effects of International Outsourcing: Evidence from Plant Level Data," CEPR Discussion Papers 6361, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Bhaumik, Sumon K. & Estrin, Saul, 2005.
"How Transition Paths Differ: Enterprise Performance in Russia and China,"
IZA Discussion Papers
1484, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Bhaumik, Sumon Kumar & Estrin, Saul, 2007. "How transition paths differ: Enterprise performance in Russia and China," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 82(2), pages 374-392, March.
- Bhaumik, Sumon Kumar & Estrin, Saul, 2005. "How Transition Paths Differ: Enterprise Performance in Russia and China," CEPR Discussion Papers 4937, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Sumon Bhaumik & Saul Estrin, 2005. "How Transition Paths Differ: Enterprise Performance in Russia and China," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series wp744, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Holger Görg & Aoife Hanley, 2004.
"Does Outsourcing Increase Profitability?,"
The Economic and Social Review,
Economic and Social Studies, vol. 35(3), pages 267-288.
- Furceri, Davide & Mourougane, Annabelle, 2012.
"The effect of financial crises on potential output: New empirical evidence from OECD countries,"
Journal of Macroeconomics,
Elsevier, vol. 34(3), pages 822-832.
- Davide Furceri & Annabelle Mourougane, 2009. "The Effect of Financial Crises on Potential Output: New Empirical Evidence from OECD Countries," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 699, OECD Publishing.
- Alexander HIJZEN & INUI Tomohiko & TODO Yasuyuki, 2007.
"Does Offshoring Pay? Firm-Level Evidence from Japan,"
07005, Research Institute of Economy, Trade and Industry (RIETI).
- Alexander Hijzen & Tomohiko Inui & Yasuyuki Todo, 2010. "Does Offshoring Pay? Firm-Level Evidence From Japan," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 48(4), pages 880-895, October.
- Alexander Hijzen, & Tomohiko Inui, & Yasuyuki Todo, "undated". "Does Offshoring Pay? Firm-Level Evidence From Japan," Discussion Papers 07/14, University of Nottingham, GEP.
- Bhaumik, Sumon K. & Dimova, Ralitza & Kumbhakar, Subal C. & Sun, Kai, 2012.
"Does Institutional Quality Affect Firm Performance? Insights from a Semiparametric Approach,"
IZA Discussion Papers
6351, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Sumon Bhaumik & Ralitza Dimova & Subal C. Kumbhakar & Kai Sun, 2012. "Does Institutional Quality Affect Firm Performance? Insights from a Semi-Parametric Approach," William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series wp1029, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Moser, Christoph & Urban, Dieter M & Weder di Mauro, Beatrice, 2009. "Offshoring, Firm Performance and Establishment-Level Employment: Identifying Productivity and Downsizing Effects," CEPR Discussion Papers 7455, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Karsten Bjerring Olsen, 2006. "Productivity Impacts of Offshoring and Outsourcing: A Review," OECD Science, Technology and Industry Working Papers 2006/1, OECD Publishing.
- Gorg, Holger & Hanley, Aoife, 2005. "International outsourcing and productivity: evidence from the Irish electronics industry," The North American Journal of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 16(2), pages 255-269, August.
- Hartmut Egger & Peter Egger, "undated".
"International Outsourcing and the Productivity of Low-skilled Labour in the EU,"
WIFO Working Papers
- Hartmut Egger & Peter Egger, 2006. "International Outsourcing and the Productivity of Low-Skilled Labor in the EU," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 44(1), pages 98-108, January.
- Ronald Bachmann & Sebastian Braun, 2011.
"The Impact Of International Outsourcing On Labour Market Dynamics In Germany,"
Scottish Journal of Political Economy,
Scottish Economic Society, vol. 58(1), pages 1-28, February.
- Bachmann, Ronald & Braun, Sebastian, 2008. "The Impact of International Outsourcing on Labour Market Dynamics in Germany," Ruhr Economic Papers 53, RWI - Leibniz-Institut für Wirtschaftsforschung, Ruhr-University Bochum, TU Dortmund University, University of Duisburg-Essen.
- Ronald Bachmann & Sebastian Braun, 2008. "The Impact of International Outsourcing on Labour Market Dynamics in Germany," SFB 649 Discussion Papers SFB649DP2008-020, Sonderforschungsbereich 649, Humboldt University, Berlin, Germany.
- Bernd Görzig & Andreas Stephan, 2002.
"Outsourcing and Firm-level Performance,"
Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin
309, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Addison, John T & Schnabel, Claus & Wagner, Joachim, 2001. "Work Councils in Germany: Their Effects on Establishment Performance," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 53(4), pages 659-694, October.
- Mary Amiti & Shang-Jin Wei, 2006. "Service Offshoring and Productivity: Evidence from the United States," NBER Working Papers 11926, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gene M. Grossman & Elhanan Helpman, 2002. "Integration versus Outsourcing in Industry Equilibrium," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 117(1), pages 85-120.
- Michael P. Murray, 2006. "Avoiding Invalid Instruments and Coping with Weak Instruments," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 20(4), pages 111-132, Fall.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fip:fedlrv:y:2012:i:july:p:287-304:n:v.94no.4. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Anna Xiao)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.