The export potential of Tenth District states
After collapsing during the financial and economic crisis, exports have grown rapidly in the nation and across much of the Tenth Federal Reserve District. Despite some risks, most economic forecasts for national exports point to continued robust growth. An export boom, however, could have disparate effects across the country, given sizable differences in the volume, composition, and trends of state exports. ; Wilkerson and Williams assess the export potential of the Tenth District. They find that future export growth in the district is likely to be strong, although most states are likely to benefit less from the expected boom than the nation as a whole. Most states in the district have smaller export sectors than the nation and slightly less favorable export industry mixes. There are exceptions, though, and most district states have an adequate mix of trading partners. And, as in the past, other factors will play a role in the district’s export potential.
Volume (Year): (2010)
Issue (Month): Q III ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: One Memorial Drive, Kansas City, MO 64198|
Phone: (816) 881-2254
Web page: http://www.kansascityfed.org
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Cletus C. Coughlin, 2004. "The increasing importance of proximity for exports from U.S. states," Review, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis, issue Nov, pages 1-18.
- Gries, Thomas & Naude, Wim & Matthee, Marianne, 2008.
"The Optimal Distance to Port for Exporting Firms,"
Working Paper Series
RP2008/32, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Cletus Coughlin & Howard Wall, 2003.
"NAFTA and the changing pattern of state exports,"
Papers in Regional Science,
Springer, vol. 82(4), pages 427-450, November.
- Cletus C. Coughlin & Patricia S. Pollard, 2001. "Comparing manufacturing export growth across states: what accounts for the differences?," Review, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis, issue Jan, pages 25-40.
- Cletus C. Coughlin & Thomas B. Mandelbaum, 1990. "Accounting for changes in manufactured exports at the state level: 1976-86," Review, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis, issue Sep, pages 3-14.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fip:fedker:y:2010:i:qiii:p:93-114:n:v.95no.3. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (LDayrit)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.