Policymaking under uncertainty: Gradualism and robustness
Some economists have recommended the robust control approach to the formulation of monetary policy under uncertainty when policymakers cannot attach probabilities to the scenarios that concern them. One critique of this approach is that it seems to imply aggressive policies under uncertainty, contrary to the conventional wisdom of acting more gradually in an uncertain environment. This article argues that aggressiveness is not a generic feature of robust control.
Volume (Year): (2009)
Issue (Month): Q II ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Web page: http://www.chicagofed.org/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Web: http://www.chicagofed.org/webpages/publications/print_publication_order_form.cfm Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Christopher A. Sims, 2001. "Pitfalls of a Minimax Approach to Model Uncertainty," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 91(2), pages 51-54, May.
- Larry G. Epstein & Martin Schneider, 2001.
RCER Working Papers
485, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Rustem, Berc & Wieland, Volker & Zakovic, Stan, 2005.
"Stochastic optimization and worst-case analysis in monetary policy design,"
CFS Working Paper Series
2005/14, Center for Financial Studies (CFS).
- Stan Žaković & Volker Wieland & Berc Rustem, 2007. "Stochastic Optimization and Worst-Case Analysis in Monetary Policy Design," Computational Economics, Society for Computational Economics, vol. 30(4), pages 329-347, November.
- S. Zakovic & V. Wieland & B. Rustem, 2004. "Stochastic Optimisation and Worst Case Analysis in Monetary Policy Design," Computing in Economics and Finance 2004 213, Society for Computational Economics.
- Rustem, Berc & Wieland, Volker & Zakovic, Stan, 2005. "Stochastic Optimization and Worst Case Analysis in Monetary Policy Design," CEPR Discussion Papers 5019, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Maccheroni, Fabio & Marinacci, Massimo & Rustichini, Aldo, 2006.
"Dynamic variational preferences,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 128(1), pages 4-44, May.
- Manski, Charles F., 2000. "Identification problems and decisions under ambiguity: Empirical analysis of treatment response and normative analysis of treatment choice," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 95(2), pages 415-442, April.
- Ben S. Bernanke, 2007. "Monetary policy under uncertainty," Speech 327, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- repec:fip:fedgsq:y:2007:i:oct19 is not listed on IDEAS
- Giannoni, Marc P., 2002. "Does Model Uncertainty Justify Caution? Robust Optimal Monetary Policy In A Forward-Looking Model," Macroeconomic Dynamics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 6(01), pages 111-144, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fip:fedhep:y:2009:i:qii:p:38-55:n:v.33no.2. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Bernie Flores)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.