Retail payments innovations and the banking industry
This study examines the impact of new payments technologies on the value of banking industry. Chakravorti and Kobor (2003) find that payment providers offer new payments products most often as a bundled service offering in order to retain their customers and with the expectation of increased long-term profits. Rice and Stanton (2003) estimate that payments revenue accounts for approximately 16 percent of operating revenue. According to Rice (2003), payments activities affect the value of the banking franchise and estimates of profit efficiency. A cross-section of bankers surveyed by Kellogg (2003) indicates four key concerns related to emerging payments technologies: changing delivery channels and safeguards, fraud, vendor oversight and operational risk measurement and reporting. Lemieux (2003) identifies network vulnerabilities as having resiliency implications. These five studies highlight how income from payments activities is becoming a significant portion of banks' revenue and show that the lines between banks and nonbanks are becoming increasingly blurred.
To our knowledge, this item is not available for
download. To find whether it is available, there are three
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Volume (Year): (2003)
Issue (Month): ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: P.O. Box 834, 230 South LaSalle Street, Chicago, Illinois 60690-0834|
Web page: http://www.chicagofed.org/
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Web: http://www.chicagofed.org/webpages/publications/print_publication_order_form.cfm Email: |
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sujit Chakravorti & Emery Kobor, 2003. "Why invest in payment innovations?," Emerging Issues, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago, issue Jun.
- Tara Rice & Kristin Stanton, 2003. "Estimating the volume of payments-driven revenues," Emerging Issues, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Tara Rice, 2003. "The importance of payments-driven revenues to franchise value and in estimating bank performance," Emerging Issues, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Paul Kellogg, 2003. "Evolving operational risk management for retail payments," Emerging Issues, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Kenneth N. Kuttner & James J. McAndrews, 2001. "Personal on-line payments," Economic Policy Review, Federal Reserve Bank of New York, issue Dec, pages 35-50.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fip:fedhei:y:2003:n:eps-2003-1a. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Bernie Flores)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.