Rethinking the IS in IS-LM: adapting Keynesian tools to non-Keynesian economies Part 2
The IS-LM diagram was developed as a tool for analyzing Keynesian economies-economies with sticky prices and myopic households. In Part 1 of this article, Evan Koenig showed how a graphical apparatus similar to the traditional IS-LM diagram can be used to analyze economies with a fixed capital stock and optimizing, forward-looking households. Part 2 extends the earlier analysis to an economy with capital investment. As before, an expectations-augmented variant of the IS-LM model is found to include a popular real-business-cycle model as a special case. Thus, the IS-LM diagram has wide applicability as a pedagogical device and as a framework within which to discuss policy.
Volume (Year): (1993)
Issue (Month): Dec ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.dallasfed.org/|
More information through EDIRC
|Order Information:|| Email: |
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- De Long, James Bradford & Summers, Lawrence H, 1986.
"Is Increased Price Flexibility Stabilizing?,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 76(5), pages 1031-1044, December.
- James Tobin, 1993.
"Price Flexibility and Output Stability: An Old Keynesian View,"
Journal of Economic Perspectives,
American Economic Association, vol. 7(1), pages 45-65, Winter.
- James Tobin, 1991. "Price Flexibility and Output Stability: An Old Keynesian View," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 994R, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University, revised Sep 1991.
- Robert E. Hall, 1981.
"Intertemporal Substitution in Consumption,"
NBER Working Papers
0720, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Andrew B. Abel & Olivier J. Blanchard, 1982.
"An Intertemporal Model of Saving and Investment,"
NBER Working Papers
0885, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Robert G. King, 1993. "Will the New Keynesian Macroeconomics Resurrect the IS-LM Model?," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 7(1), pages 67-82, Winter.
- Evan F. Koenig, 1993. "Rethinking the IS in IS-LM: adapting Keynesian tools to non-Keynesian economies Part 1," Economic and Financial Policy Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas, issue Sep, pages 32-50.
- repec:fth:harver:1435 is not listed on IDEAS
- John Y. Campbell & N. Gregory Mankiw, 1989.
"Consumption, Income and Interest Rates: Reinterpreting the Time Series Evidence,"
in: NBER Macroeconomics Annual 1989, Volume 4, pages 185-246
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- John Y. Campbell & N. Gregory Mankiw, 1989. "Consumption, Income, and Interest Rates: Reinterpreting the Time Series Evidence," NBER Working Papers 2924, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fip:fedder:y:1993:i:dec:p:17-35. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Amy Chapman)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.