Progressivity of health care financing : estimation and statistical inference
This paper examines the vertical distribution of health care financing in Finland. The empirical analysis is based on a new approach that allows the estimation of inequality indices from micro-level data, and testing for the statistical significance of differences in the distributions. Estimates of standard errors were computed for the Gini coefficient of gross income and for concentration and progressivity indices of various health care financing sources. The results suggest that overall health care financing in Finland in the early 1990s was distributed progressively: poorer households financed health care by a smaller proportion of their gross income than richer households. However; the level of progressivity of various financing sources differed, and in most cases the differences were sufficiently large to rank the various financing components according to their contribution to overall progressivity.
Volume (Year): 11 (1998)
Issue (Month): 2 (Autumn)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.taloustieteellinenyhdistys.fi|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Aronson, J Richard & Johnson, Paul & Lambert, Peter J, 1994. "Redistributive Effects and Unequal Income Tax Treatment," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 104(423), pages 262-70, March.
- Danziger, Sheldon & Taussig, Michael K, 1979. "The Income Unit and the Anatomy of Income Distribution," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 25(4), pages 365-75, December.
- Kakwani, Nanok C, 1977. "Measurement of Tax Progressivity: An International Comparison," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 87(345), pages 71-80, March.
- Lerman, Robert I. & Yitzhaki, Shlomo, 1989. "Improving the accuracy of estimates of Gini coefficients," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 42(1), pages 43-47, September.
- Kakwani, Nanak & Wagstaff, Adam & van Doorslaer, Eddy, 1997. "Socioeconomic inequalities in health: Measurement, computation, and statistical inference," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 77(1), pages 87-103, March.
- O'Higgins, Michael & Schmaus, Guenther & Stephenson, Geoffrey, 1989. "Income Distribution and Redistribution: A Microdata Analysis for Seven Countries," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 35(2), pages 107-31, June.
- Doorslaer, Eddy van & Wagstaff, Adam & Rutten, Frans (ed.), 1992. "Equity in the Finance and Delivery of Health Care: An International Perspective," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780192622914, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fep:journl:v:11:y:1998:i:2:p:86-95. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Editorial Secretary)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.