Poverty and Agricultural Growth: Chile in the 1990s
This paper analyzes the roles of agriculture in reducing poverty. Following the methodology proposed by López (2002), three channels by which agricultural growth reduces poverty are tested: (i) its effects on the real wage of unskilled workers (and/or its possible effect in reducing their unemployment); (ii) the direct impact of agricultural growth on the income of poor farmers; and, (iii) the effect on real food prices. The paper concludes that the pro-poor role of agricultural expansion is dramatic. Agricultural growth tends to improve all measures of poverty significantly with head count falling around 7.3% as a consequence of a 4.5% increase in agricultural output. An important result is that while the economy-wide effects taking place via food prices and especially the labour market are quantitatively important the direct income effects on farmers are almost negligible.
Volume (Year): 1 (2004)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: Agricultural Sector in Economic Development Service FAO Viale delle Terme di Caracalla 00153 Rome Italy|
Phone: +39(6) 57051
Fax: +39 06 57055522
Web page: http://www.fao.org/es/esa/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Verbeek, M.J.C.M. & Nijman, T.E., 1990.
"Can cohort data be treated as genuine panel data?,"
1990-64, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Phillips, Peter C B & Ouliaris, S, 1990.
"Asymptotic Properties of Residual Based Tests for Cointegration,"
Econometric Society, vol. 58(1), pages 165-93, January.
- Tom Doan, . "POTESTRESIDS: RATS procedure to perform Phillips-Ouliaris-Hansen test for Cointegration on 1st stage residuals," Statistical Software Components RTS00248, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Peter C.B. Phillips & Sam Ouliaris, 1987. "Asymptotic Properties of Residual Based Tests for Cointegration," Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers 847R, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University, revised Jul 1988.
- Tom Doan, . "POTEST: RATS procedure to perform Phillips-Ouliaris-Hansen test for Cointegration," Statistical Software Components RTS00247, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Johansen, Soren, 1991. "Estimation and Hypothesis Testing of Cointegration Vectors in Gaussian Vector Autoregressive Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(6), pages 1551-80, November.
- Alejandra Mizala & Pilar Romaguera & Paulo Henríquez, 1999. "Female labor supply in Chile," Documentos de Trabajo 58, Centro de Economía Aplicada, Universidad de Chile.
- Dante Contreras, 2003. "Poverty and Inequality in a Rapid Growth Economy: Chile 1990-96," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 39(3), pages 181-200.
- Miller, Stephen M, 1991. "Monetary Dynamics: An Application of Cointegration and Error-Correction Modeling," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 23(2), pages 139-54, May.
- Diewert, W E, 1971. "An Application of the Shephard Duality Theorem: A Generalized Leontief Production Function," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 79(3), pages 481-507, May-June.
- Berdegue, Julio A. & Ramirez, Eduardo & Reardon, Thomas & Escobar, German, 2001. "Rural Nonfarm Employment and Incomes in Chile," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 29(3), pages 411-425, March.
- Clements, Michael P. & Mizon, Grayham E., 1991. "Empirical analysis of macroeconomic time series : VAR and structural models," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 35(4), pages 887-917, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:fao:tejade:v:1:y:2004:i:1:p:6-24. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Gustavo Anríquez)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.