CEO Compensation and Shareholder Value Orientation Among Large US Firms
Download full text from publisher
References listed on IDEAS
- Brian J. Hall & Kevin J. Murphy, 2003. "The Trouble with Stock Options," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 17(3), pages 49-70, Summer.
- O. Ashenfelter & D. Card (ed.), 1999. "Handbook of Labor Economics," Handbook of Labor Economics, Elsevier, edition 1, volume 3, number 3.
- Henry Hansmann & Reinier Kraakman, 2000. "The End Of History For Corporate Law," Yale School of Management Working Papers ysm136, Yale School of Management, revised 01 Feb 2001.
- Lucian Bebchuk, 2005. "The Growth of Executive Pay," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 21(2), pages 283-303, Summer.
- Jensen, Michael C & Murphy, Kevin J, 1990. "Performance Pay and Top-Management Incentives," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 98(2), pages 225-264, April.
- Fama, Eugene F & Jensen, Michael C, 1983. "Separation of Ownership and Control," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 26(2), pages 301-325, June.
- Brian J. Hall & Jeffrey B. Liebman, 1998. "Are CEOs Really Paid Like Bureaucrats?," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 113(3), pages 653-691.
- Brian R. Cheffins, 2003. "Will Executive Pay Globalise Along American Lines?," Corporate Governance: An International Review, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 11(1), pages 8-24, January.
- Brian J. Hall & Kevin J. Murphy, 2003. "The Trouble with Stock Options," NBER Working Papers 9784, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Elsaid, Eahab & Davidson III, Wallace N., 2009. "What happens to CEO compensation following turnover and succession?," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 49(2), pages 424-447, May.
- Stuart L. Gillan & Laura T. Starks, 2007. "The Evolution of Shareholder Activism in the United States," Journal of Applied Corporate Finance, Morgan Stanley, vol. 19(1), pages 55-73, January.
- Jay C. Hartzell & Laura T. Starks, 2003. "Institutional Investors and Executive Compensation," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 58(6), pages 2351-2374, December.
- Faulkender, Michael & Yang, Jun, 2010. "Inside the black box: The role and composition of compensation peer groups," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 96(2), pages 257-270, May.
- Brandon Julio & David L. Ikenberry, 2004. "Reappearing Dividends," Journal of Applied Corporate Finance, Morgan Stanley, vol. 16(4), pages 89-100.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Giampaolo Gabbi & Elisa Ticci, 2014. "Implications of financialisation for sustainability," Working papers wpaper47, Financialisation, Economy, Society & Sustainable Development (FESSUD) Project.
Most related itemsThese are the items that most often cite the same works as this one and are cited by the same works as this one.
- Habib Jouber, 2016. "The relationship between CEO performance-based compensation and shareholders value creation: a cross national analysis," International Journal of Managerial and Financial Accounting, Inderscience Enterprises Ltd, vol. 8(1), pages 1-22.
- Dietl Helmut M & Duschl Tobias & Lang Markus, 2011.
"Executive Pay Regulation: What Regulators, Shareholders, and Managers Can Learn from Major Sports Leagues,"
Business and Politics, De Gruyter, vol. 13(2), pages 1-32, August.
- Dietl, Helmut M. & Duschl, Tobias & Lang, Markus, 2011. "Executive Pay Regulation: What Regulators, Shareholders, and Managers Can Learn from Major Sports Leagues," Business and Politics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 13(2), pages 1-30, August.
- Helmut Dietl & Tobias Duschl & Markus Lang, 2010. "Executive Pay Regulation: What Regulators, Shareholders, and Managers Can Learn from Major Sports Leagues," Working Papers 0038, University of Zurich, Center for Research in Sports Administration (CRSA), revised Oct 2010.
- Helmut Dietl & Tobias Duschl & Markus Lang, 2011. "Executive Pay Regulation: What Regulators, Shareholders, and Managers Can Learn from Major Sports Leagues," Working Papers 1106, International Association of Sports Economists;North American Association of Sports Economists, revised Mar 2011.
- Helmut Dietl & Tobias Duschl & Markus Lang, 2010. "Executive Pay Regulation: What Regulators, Shareholders, and Managers Can Learn from Major Sports Leagues," Working Papers 0129, University of Zurich, Institute for Strategy and Business Economics (ISU), revised Oct 2010.
- Carola Frydman & Dirk Jenter, 2010.
Annual Review of Financial Economics, Annual Reviews, vol. 2(1), pages 75-102, December.
- Frydman, Carola & Jenter, Dirk, 2010. "CEO Compensation," Research Papers 2069, Stanford University, Graduate School of Business.
- Carola Frydman & Dirk Jenter, 2010. "CEO Compensation," NBER Working Papers 16585, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Carola Frydman & Dirk Jenter, 2010. "CEO Compensation," CESifo Working Paper Series 3277, CESifo.
- Yaowen Shan & Terry Walter, 2016. "Towards a Set of Design Principles for Executive Compensation Contracts," Abacus, Accounting Foundation, University of Sydney, vol. 52(4), pages 619-684, December.
- Habib Jouber & Hamadi Fakhfakh, 2011. "Does CEOs Performance-based Compensation Waits on Shareholders? A Cross National Analysis," International Journal of Business Administration, International Journal of Business Administration, Sciedu Press, vol. 2(3), pages 68-82, August.
- Cambini, Carlo & De Masi, Sara & Paci, Andrea & Rondi, Laura, 2018. "CEO compensation in EU telecom companies: Does the state design the right incentives?," Telecommunications Policy, Elsevier, vol. 42(6), pages 474-488.
- Benson, Bradley W. & Lian, Qin & Wang, Qiming, 2016. "Stock ownership guidelines for CEOs: Do they (not) meet expectations?," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 69(C), pages 52-71.
- Shi, Lina & Gong, Stephen & Wang, Xingang, 2021. "Social network, corporate governance, and rent extraction in CEO compensation: Evidence from spatial econometric models," The British Accounting Review, Elsevier, vol. 53(4).
- Qiang Kang & Qiao Liu, 2010. "Information-Based Stock Trading, Executive Incentives, and the Principal-Agent Problem," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 56(4), pages 682-698, April.
- Singh, Ravi & Ruiz-Verdú, Pablo, 2014. "Board Independence, CEO Pay, and Camouflaged Compensation," DEE - Working Papers. Business Economics. WB wb140704, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid. Departamento de Economía de la Empresa.
- Andrea Melis & Silvia Carta & Silvia Gaia, 2012. "Executive remuneration in blockholder-dominated firms. How do Italian firms use stock options?," Journal of Management & Governance, Springer;Accademia Italiana di Economia Aziendale (AIDEA), vol. 16(3), pages 511-541, August.
- Matthias Kiefer & Edward Jones & Andrew Adams, 2016. "Principals, Agents and Incomplete Contracts: Are Surrender of Control and Renegotiation the Solution?," CFI Discussion Papers 1603, Centre for Finance and Investment, Heriot Watt University.
- Meng, Rujing & Ning, Xiangdong & Zhou, Xianming & Zhu, Hongquan, 2011. "Do ESOPs enhance firm performance? Evidence from China's reform experiment," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 35(6), pages 1541-1551, June.
- Ng, Lilian & Sibilkov, Valeriy & Wang, Qinghai & Zaiats, Nataliya, 2011. "Does shareholder approval requirement of equity compensation plans matter?," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 17(5), pages 1510-1530.
- David De Meza & David C Webb, 2004.
"Principal Agent Problems Under Loss Aversion: An Application to Executive Stock Options,"
FMG Discussion Papers
dp478, Financial Markets Group.
- de Meza, David & Webb, David C., 2004. "Principal agent problems under loss aversion: an application to executive stock options," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 24676, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- Xavier Gabaix & Augustin Landier, 2008. "Why has CEO Pay Increased So Much?," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 123(1), pages 49-100.
- Sualihu, Mohammed Aminu & Rankin, Michaela & Haman, Janto, 2021. "The role of equity compensation in reducing inefficient investment in labor," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 66(C).
- James C. Sesil & Yu Peng Lin, 2011. "The Impact of Employee Stock Option Adoption and Incidence on Productivity: Evidence from U.S. Panel Data," Industrial Relations: A Journal of Economy and Society, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 50(3), pages 514-534, July.
- Chongwoo Choe & Gloria Tian & Xiangkang Yin, 2008.
"Managerial Power, Stock-Based Compensation, And Firm Performance: Theory And Evidence,"
Monash Economics Working Papers
21/08, Monash University, Department of Economics.
- Choe, Chongwoo & Tian, Gloria & Yin, Xiangkang, 2009. "Managerial Power, Stock-Based Compensation, and Firm Performance: Theory and Evidence," MPRA Paper 13449, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Michael L. Bognanno, 2010. "Executive Compensation: A Brief Review," DETU Working Papers 1002, Department of Economics, Temple University.
More about this item
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eso:journl:v:43:y:2012:i:4:p:535-559. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: . General contact details of provider: https://www.esr.ie .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: Martina Lawless (email available below). General contact details of provider: https://www.esr.ie .
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.