What’s Been Happening To Concentration in Irish Industry 1991-2001
This paper estimates concentration in Irish manufacturing industry (1991-2001) by applying the McCloughan and Abounoori technique for calculating the concentration ratio given grouped data. The results suggest high aggregate concentration, which appears less a function of multi-plant operations than in the past, possibly reflecting industrial policy changes. Industrial concentration appears higher on average in Ireland than in other countries and there is a significant relationship between concentration and upper-tail size inequalities, suggesting that it is the top 1 or 2 firms that typically determine concentration. Concentration does not appear to vary with foreign ownership or export activity in Irish industry.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Patrick McCloughan, 2004. "Construction sector concentration: evidence from Britain," Construction Management and Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 22(9), pages 979-990.
- Gerry E. Boyle, 2004. "Hall-Roeger Tests of Market Power in Irish Manufacturing Industries," The Economic and Social Review, Economic and Social Studies, vol. 35(3), pages 289-304.
- Valerie Cerra & Jarkko Soikkeli & Sweta C. Saxena, 2003.
"How Competitive is Irish Manufacturing?,"
The Economic and Social Review,
Economic and Social Studies, vol. 34(2), pages 173-193.
- Valerie Cerra & Jarkko Soikkeli, 2002. "How Competitive Is Irish Manufacturing?," IMF Working Papers 02/160, International Monetary Fund.
- O'Malley, Eoin, 2004. "Competitive Performance in Irish Industry," Quarterly Economic Commentary: Special Articles, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI), vol. 2004(4-Winter), pages 66-101.
- Patrick Mccloughan & Esmaiel Abounoori, 2003. "How to estimate market concentration given grouped data," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 35(8), pages 973-983.
- Carl Gjersem, 2004. "Policies Bearing on Product Market Competition and Growth in Europe," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 378, OECD Publishing. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eso:journl:v:36:y:2005:i:2:p:127-156. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Martina Lawless)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.