What’s Been Happening To Concentration in Irish Industry 1991-2001
This paper estimates concentration in Irish manufacturing industry (1991-2001) by applying the McCloughan and Abounoori technique for calculating the concentration ratio given grouped data. The results suggest high aggregate concentration, which appears less a function of multi-plant operations than in the past, possibly reflecting industrial policy changes. Industrial concentration appears higher on average in Ireland than in other countries and there is a significant relationship between concentration and upper-tail size inequalities, suggesting that it is the top 1 or 2 firms that typically determine concentration. Concentration does not appear to vary with foreign ownership or export activity in Irish industry.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Patrick Mccloughan & Esmaiel Abounoori, 2003. "How to estimate market concentration given grouped data," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 35(8), pages 973-983.
- Carl Gjersem, 2004. "Policies Bearing on Product Market Competition and Growth in Europe," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 378, OECD Publishing.
- Gerry E. Boyle, 2004. "Hall-Roeger Tests of Market Power in Irish Manufacturing Industries," The Economic and Social Review, Economic and Social Studies, vol. 35(3), pages 289-304.
- Patrick McCloughan, 2004. "Construction sector concentration: evidence from Britain," Construction Management and Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 22(9), pages 979-990.
- Valerie Cerra & Jarkko Soikkeli & Sweta C. Saxena, 2003.
"How Competitive is Irish Manufacturing?,"
The Economic and Social Review,
Economic and Social Studies, vol. 34(2), pages 173-193.
- O'Malley, Eoin, 2004. "Competitive Performance in Irish Industry," Quarterly Economic Commentary: Special Articles, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI), vol. 2004(4-Winter), pages 66-101.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eso:journl:v:36:y:2005:i:2:p:127-156. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Frank Walsh)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.