Accounting GAAPs and Accounting Treatments for Management of Property: Case Studies from Greek Real Estate Market
The present article reconciles the GAAP3 to each other, which apply to accounting recording of fixed assets. It separates the fixed assets, from the side of buyer, as Own Used, Investments, and Inventories and integrates these types of assets into four main portfolio categories. It examines, what are the features to incorporate an element of fixed assets in these portfolios. It analyzes the accounting treatments for each portfolio transaction and the impact of any accounting entry to equity and profit and loss account. It presents the key accounting profitability metrics for any kind of fixed asset. The subject of the article focuses on land and buildings as main part of the total fixed assets of a company. It discusses the influence of taxations and other expenditures at purchase time on the cost and tries to establish a purchase price allocation method for property acquisition. It describes the accounting entries for the revenues, expenses and valuations per portfolio. It makes a comparative analysis between Greek GAAP, IFRS4 and U.S GAAP for accounting treatments of fixed assets. Finally, it uses the framework of Greek Real Estate Market as experimental setting where the principles of Historic Cost and Fair Value Accounting can be compared. The contribution of this article is that it surveys from a critical perspective, principles, literature and the practice about all the above issues, and presents from accounting point of view a way to managing and monitoring real estate investments.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Richard Dietrich, J. & Harris, Mary S. & MullerIII, Karl A., 2000. "The reliability of investment property fair value estimates," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(2), pages 125-158, October.
- Y.C. Lin & Ken V. Peasnell, 2000. "Fixed Asset Revaluation and Equity Depletion in the UK," Journal of Business Finance & Accounting, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 27(3&4), pages 359-394.
- Y.C. Lin & Ken V. Peasnell, 2000. "Fixed Asset Revaluation and Equity Depletion in the UK," Journal of Business Finance & Accounting, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 27(3-4), pages 359-394.
- Missonier-Piera, Franck, 2007. "Motives for fixed-asset revaluation: An empirical analysis with Swiss data," The International Journal of Accounting, Elsevier, vol. 42(2), pages 186-205.
- Jo Danbolt & William Rees, 2008. "An Experiment in Fair Value Accounting: UK Investment Vehicles," European Accounting Review, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 17(2), pages 271-303.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ers:journl:v:xiii:y:2010:i:3:p:169-194. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Eleni Giannakopoulou)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.