Pruebas de no linealidad de los rendimientos del mercado mexicano accionario: coeficientes de Lyapunov
We examine the non-linearity of the Mexican Stock Market daily returns. We find empirical evidence to reject lineal specifications in the behavior of the stock returns. As a consequence, most of the findings based on lineal methods regarding the stock market in Mexico may be questioned. We also test a random walk specification versus an alternative hypothesis of chaos in the Mexican stock market index, IPC. To achieve this, we design a statistic based on Lyapunov dominant exponent by using local polynomial regression methods. The empirical distribution of the statistic is obtained through the surrogate data method. Finally, the test concludes that the hypothesis of random walk cannot be rejected.
Volume (Year): 17 (2002)
Issue (Month): 2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.colmex.mx/centros/cee/|
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Grieb, Terrance & Reyes, Mario G, 1999. "Random Walk Tests for Latin American Equity Indexes and Individual Firms," Journal of Financial Research, Southern Finance Association;Southwestern Finance Association, vol. 22(4), pages 371-383, Winter.
- Scheinkman, Jose A & LeBaron, Blake, 1989. "Nonlinear Dynamics and Stock Returns," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 62(3), pages 311-337, July.
- Park, Joon Y. & Whang, Yoon-Jae, 2012.
"Random walk or chaos: A formal test on the Lyapunov exponent,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 169(1), pages 61-74.
- Joon Y. Park & Yoon-Jae Whang, 1999. "Random Walk or Chaos: A Formal Test on the Lyapunov Exponent," Working Paper Series no9, Institute of Economic Research, Seoul National University.
- Hsieh, David A, 1989. "Testing for Nonlinear Dependence in Daily Foreign Exchange Rates," The Journal of Business, University of Chicago Press, vol. 62(3), pages 339-368, July.
- Ojah, Kalu & Karemera, David, 1999. "Random Walks and Market Efficiency Tests of Latin American Emerging Equity Markets: A Revisit," The Financial Review, Eastern Finance Association, vol. 34(2), pages 57-72, May. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:emx:esteco:v:17:y:2002:i:2:p:305-322. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Rocío Contreras)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.