Are potential effects of SFAS 158 associated with firms' decisions to freeze their defined benefit pension plans?
Download full text from publisher
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
- Cullinan, Charles P. & Knoblett, James A., 1994. "Unionization and accounting policy choices: An empirical examination," Journal of Accounting and Public Policy, Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 49-78.
- Francesco Franzoni & José M. Marín, 2006.
"Pension Plan Funding and Stock Market Efficiency,"
Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 61(2), pages 921-956, April.
- Francesco Franzoni & José M. Marín, 2005. "Pension plan funding and stock market efficiency," Economics Working Papers 871, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Francesco Franzoni & J. M. Marin, 2006. "Pension Plan Funding and Stock Market Efficiency," Post-Print halshs-00009850, HAL.
- Hamdallah, Ahmed El-Sayed & Ruland, William, 1986. "The decision to terminate overfunded pension plans," Journal of Accounting and Public Policy, Elsevier, vol. 5(2), pages 77-91.
- Mittelstaedt, H. Fred, 1989. "An empirical analysis of the factors underlying the decision to remove excess assets from overfunded pension plans," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 11(4), pages 399-418, November.
- Greg Niehaus & Tong Yu, 2005. "Cash‐Balance Plan Conversions: Evidence on Excise Taxes and Implicit Contracts," Journal of Risk & Insurance, The American Risk and Insurance Association, vol. 72(2), pages 321-352, June.
- Barth, Mary E. & Beaver, William H. & Landsman, Wayne R., 1992. "The market valuation implications of net periodic pension cost components," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 15(1), pages 27-62, March.
- Alicia H. Munnell & Mauricio Soto, 2007. "Why Are Companies Freezing Their Pensions?," Working Papers, Center for Retirement Research at Boston College wp2007-22, Center for Retirement Research, revised Dec 2007.
- Arya, Anil & Glover, Jonathan & Mittendorf, Brian & Narayanamoorthy, Ganapathi, 2005. "Unintended consequences of regulating disclosures: The case of Regulation Fair Disclosure," Journal of Accounting and Public Policy, Elsevier, vol. 24(3), pages 243-252.
- Kothari, S.P. & Leone, Andrew J. & Wasley, Charles E., 2005. "Performance matched discretionary accrual measures," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 39(1), pages 163-197, February.
- Coronado, Julia Lynn & Copeland, Philip C., 2004. "Cash balance pension plan conversions and the new economy," Journal of Pension Economics and Finance, Cambridge University Press, vol. 3(3), pages 297-314, November.
- Mitchell A. Petersen, 1992. "Pension Reversions and Worker-Stockholder Wealth Transfers," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 107(3), pages 1033-1056.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Amani, Farzaneh A. & Fadlalla, Adam M., 2017. "Data mining applications in accounting: A review of the literature and organizing framework," International Journal of Accounting Information Systems, Elsevier, vol. 24(C), pages 32-58.
- Joshua D. Rauh & Irina Stefanescu & Stephen P. Zeldes, 2020. "Cost Saving and the Freezing of Corporate Pension Plans," NBER Working Papers 27251, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Vafeas, Nikos & Vlittis, Adamos, 2018. "Independent directors and defined benefit pension plan freezes," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 50(C), pages 505-518.
- Kun Yu, 2016. "Excess of the PBO over the ABO and hard pension freezes," Review of Quantitative Finance and Accounting, Springer, vol. 46(4), pages 819-846, May.
- Hieu V. Phan & Shantaram P. Hegde, 2013. "Pension Contributions and Firm Performance: Evidence from Frozen Defined Benefit Plans," Financial Management, Financial Management Association International, vol. 42(2), pages 373-411, June.
- Rauh, Joshua D. & Stefanescu, Irina & Zeldes, Stephen P., 2020. "Cost saving and the freezing of corporate pension plans," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 188(C).
- Fried, Abraham N. & Davis-Friday, Paquita Y., 2013. "Economic consequences of mandatory GAAP changes: The case of SFAS No. 158," Advances in accounting, Elsevier, vol. 29(2), pages 186-194.
More about this item
KeywordsUnited States of America; Pension funds; Benefits; Accounting standards;
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eme:rafpps:v:9:y:2010:i:4:p:424-451. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Virginia Chapman). General contact details of provider: http://www.emeraldinsight.com .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.