The evaluation of the Canadian BAX contract in managing short-term interest rate exposure
Purpose - The purpose of this paper is to document stylized features and market behaviour of the Canadian Bankers' Acceptance Futures (BAX) contract; and outlook for the BAX contract as the dominant instrument to manage Canadian short-term interest rate exposure. Design/methodology/approach - The paper adopts GARCH methodology to model the time-varying nature of the volatility of prices in the context of hedging and presents a time-varying estimation of the hedge ratios between the BAX contract and major Canadian money market instruments. Findings - The key finding is that the growth of the BAX Market hinges on the further development of the Canadian money market and its appeal to the international investor. Originality/value - The paper demonstrates the suitability of the BAX contract as a tool in managing Canadian short-term interest rate exposure for both domestic and international investors.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 9 (2010)
Issue (Month): 1 (February)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.emeraldinsight.com|
|Order Information:|| Postal: Emerald Group Publishing, Howard House, Wagon Lane, Bingley, BD16 1WA, UK|
Web: http://emeraldgrouppublishing.com/products/journals/journals.htm?id=raf Email:
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bollerslev, Tim & Engle, Robert F & Wooldridge, Jeffrey M, 1988. "A Capital Asset Pricing Model with Time-Varying Covariances," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 96(1), pages 116-131, February.
- Engle, Robert F. & Kroner, Kenneth F., 1995. "Multivariate Simultaneous Generalized ARCH," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 11(01), pages 122-150, February.
- Cecchetti, Stephen G & Cumby, Robert E & Figlewski, Stephen, 1988.
"Estimation of the Optimal Futures Hedge,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 70(4), pages 623-630, November.
- Stephen G. Cecchetti & Robert E. Cumby & Stephen Figlewski, 1986. "Estimation of the optimal futures hedge," Research Working Paper 86-10, Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City.
- Baillie, Richard T & Myers, Robert J, 1991. "Bivariate GARCH Estimation of the Optimal Commodity Futures Hedge," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 6(2), pages 109-124, April-Jun. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eme:rafpps:v:9:y:2010:i:1:p:88-110. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Virginia Chapman)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.