Assessing the green value chain to improve environmental performance: Evidence from Taiwan's manufacturing industry
Purpose – The purpose of this paper is to investigate the relationship between green management and environmental performance. This was accomplished by considering each operational element, including the supply and acquisition of upstream materials, research and development, manufacturing and packaging, marketing, promotion and education, and recycling activities. Design/methodology/approach – The paper constructs an integral model of the green value chain to reveal the extent to which Taiwanese manufacturing industries are adopting green value chain management and implementing environmentally conscious business practices. Survey data were collected from 118 Taiwanese manufacturers. Findings – The findings indicate a positive relationship between green value chain management and environmental performance. The results suggest that when firms only implement green management in particular areas the effect is insignificant; however, a comprehensive implementation can result in an overall improvement in environmental performance. Originality/value – This paper may serve as a reference for firms mapping out future environmental policies and provide an input of various perspectives and arguments into the discipline of green management.
Volume (Year): 11 (2012)
Issue (Month): 2 (July)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.emeraldinsight.com|
|Order Information:|| Postal: Emerald Group Publishing, Howard House, Wagon Lane, Bingley, BD16 1WA, UK|
Web: http://www.emeraldinsight.com/ijdi.htm Email:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ilinitch, Anne Y. & Soderstrom, Naomi S. & E. Thomas, Tom, 1998. "Measuring corporate environmental performance," Journal of Accounting and Public Policy, Elsevier, vol. 17(4-5), pages 383-408.
- David Gadenne & Jessica Kennedy & Catherine McKeiver, 2009. "An Empirical Study of Environmental Awareness and Practices in SMEs," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 84(1), pages 45-63, January.
- Kwai-Sang Chin, 1999. "Factors Influencing ISO 14000 Implementation in Printed Circuit Board Manufacturing Industry in Hong Kong," Journal of Environmental Planning and Management, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 42(1), pages 123-134.
- Fullerton, Don & Wu, Wenbo, 1998.
"Policies for Green Design,"
Journal of Environmental Economics and Management,
Elsevier, vol. 36(2), pages 131-148, September.
- Wagner, Marcus & Schaltegger, Stefan, 2004. "The Effect of Corporate Environmental Strategy Choice and Environmental Performance on Competitiveness and Economic Performance:: An Empirical Study of EU Manufacturing," European Management Journal, Elsevier, vol. 22(5), pages 557-572, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eme:ijdipp:v:11:y:2012:i:2:p:111-128. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Virginia Chapman)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.