Capital regulation, monetary policy and asymmetric effects of commercial banks' efficiency
Purpose - Owing to the importance of the efficiency of commercial banks, the aim of this paper is to find the relationship between capital regulation, monetary policy and the asymmetric effects of the commercial banks' efficiency. Design/methodology/approach - First, the paper makes a static profit model of commercial banks with double constraints and then makes a proposition with numeric simulation. Findings - In this paper, the author finds it unreasonable to calculate the commercial banks' cost and profit efficiency by SFA (DEA) directly, as there is no evidence that indicates the linearity relationship among them. Hence, more complicated solutions should be introduced. Research limitations/implications - The rate of non-performing loans (NPL) is inversely proportional to the commercial banks' cost and profit efficiency and capital adequacy ratio (CAR) and statutory reserve ratio (SRR) show a nonlinear relationship between commercial banks' cost and profit efficiency. Hence, the paper defines the different influences of commercial banks' efficiency imposed by CAR and SRR as the asymmetric effects of commercial banks' efficiency. Practical implications - The nonlinear relationship is found based on improved Kopecky and VanHoose, so excessive regulation has harmful effects on the commercial banks. The reasonable capital regulation and other prudential supervision measures should be emphasized. Originality/value - First, the paper gets its proposition through the improved KV model, which displays a new perception on analyzing this problem. Second, the nonlinear relationship is discovered by this new model and the empirical results show the nonlinear relationship further.
Volume (Year): 2 (2012)
Issue (Month): 1 (January)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.emeraldinsight.com|
|Order Information:|| Postal: Emerald Group Publishing, Howard House, Wagon Lane, Bingley, BD16 1WA, UK|
Web: http://emeraldgrouppublishing.com/products/journals/journals.htm?id=cfri Email:
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kwan, Simon H., 2006.
"The X-efficiency of commercial banks in Hong Kong,"
Journal of Banking & Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 30(4), pages 1127-1147, April.
- Simon H. Kwan, 2001. "The X-efficiency of commercial banks in Hong Kong," Working Paper Series 2002-14, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
- Simon H. Kwan, 2002. "The X-Efficiency of Commercial Banks in Hong Kong," Working Papers 122002, Hong Kong Institute for Monetary Research.
- Berger, Allen N. & Humphrey, David B., 1997. "Efficiency of financial institutions: International survey and directions for future research," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 98(2), pages 175-212, April.
- Allen N. Berger & David B. Humphrey, 1997. "Efficiency of financial institutions: international survey and directions for future research," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 1997-11, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Allen N. Berger & David B. Humphrey, 1997. "Efficiency of Financial Institutions: International Survey and Directions for Future Research," Center for Financial Institutions Working Papers 97-05, Wharton School Center for Financial Institutions, University of Pennsylvania.
- Staub, Roberta B. & da Silva e Souza, Geraldo & Tabak, Benjamin M., 2010. "Evolution of bank efficiency in Brazil: A DEA approach," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 202(1), pages 204-213, April.
- Roberta B. Staub & Geraldo Souza & Benjamin M. Tabak, 2009. "Evolution of Bank Efficiency in Brazil: A DEA Approach," Working Papers Series 200, Central Bank of Brazil, Research Department.
- Kopecky, Kenneth J. & VanHoose, David, 2004. "A model of the monetary sector with and without binding capital requirements," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 28(3), pages 633-646, March.
- Kopecky, Kenneth J. & VanHoose, David, 2004. "Bank capital requirements and the monetary transmission mechanism," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 26(3), pages 443-464, September.
- Ariff, Mohamed & Can, Luc, 2008. "Cost and profit efficiency of Chinese banks: A non-parametric analysis," China Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 260-273, June. Full references (including those not matched with items on IDEAS)
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eme:cfripp:v:2:y:2012:i:1:p:5-26. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Virginia Chapman)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.