Willingness and determinants of farmers'adoption of new rice varieties
Purpose – This paper aims to investigate farmers' willingness to adopt new rice varieties and the factors influencing their seed-selection behaviors. Design/methodology/approach – The Logit model was used to analyze farmers' willingness and the determinants of the behaviors in selecting and using new varieties. A total of 402 farming households in the main rice-producing areas of Sichuan Province were surveyed. Findings – The results indicate that rice yield and sales, agro-technicians' popularization, kith and kin's seed purchase behaviors have a positive impact on farmers'choice, while the present production income has a negative effect. But previous seed purchasing behaviors, soil characteristics, media publicity, seed companies' recommendation and age of farmer have either positive or negative impact on farmers' choice. Research limitations/implications – The paper is however unable to explain the general situation of China so it considers Sichuan province as a case. Increased sample quantities may be necessary in further research. Originality/value – The paper proposes an hypothesis of farmers' willingness and determinants in choosing new rice varieties and verifies it by Logit model. It first analyzes the farmers'decision-making behavior in choosing new rice varieties in Sichuan, and investigates the farmers' behavior more scientifically.
Volume (Year): 2 (2010)
Issue (Month): 4 (November)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.emeraldinsight.com|
|Order Information:|| Postal: Emerald Group Publishing, Howard House, Wagon Lane, Bingley, BD16 1WA, UK|
Web: http://www.emeraldinsight.com/caer.htm Email:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Horna, J. Daniela & Smale, Melinda & Oppen, Matthias Von, 2007.
"Farmer willingness to pay for seed-related information: rice varieties in Nigeria and Benin,"
Environment and Development Economics,
Cambridge University Press, vol. 12(06), pages 799-825, December.
- Horna, J. Daniela & Smale, Melinda & von Oppen, Matthias, 2005. "Farmer willingness to pay for seed-related information: rice varieties in Nigeria and Benin," EPTD discussion papers 142, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Chebil, Ali & Nasr, Hafedh & Zaibet, Lokman, 2009. "Factors affecting farmersâ€™ willingness to adopt salt-tolerant forage crops in south-eastern Tunisia," African Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, African Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 3(1), March.
- Simon, Herbert A, 1978. "Rationality as Process and as Product of Thought," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 68(2), pages 1-16, May.
- Sheikh, A. D. & Rehman, T. & Yates, C. M., 2003. "Logit models for identifying the factors that influence the uptake of new `no-tillage' technologies by farmers in the rice-wheat and the cotton-wheat farming systems of Pakistan's Punjab," Agricultural Systems, Elsevier, vol. 75(1), pages 79-95, January.
- Kebede, Yohannes & Gunjal, Kisan & Coffin, Garth, 1990. "Adoption of new technologies in Ethiopian agriculture: The case of Tegulet-Bulga district Shoa province," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 4(1), pages 27-43, April.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eme:caerpp:v:2:y:2010:i:4:p:456-471. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Virginia Chapman)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.