A Critical Review of External Debt and Economic Growth Relationship: A Lesson for Indebtedness Countries
The purpose of this paper is to review existing empirical studies of external debt and economic growth relationship. The decline in investment and growth performance of the highly indebted countries in the past three decades is frequently attributed, at least to some extent, to the burden of their foreign debt, a phenomenon which has been recognised as debt overhang. Empirical results indicate that it is difficult to say whether external debt has a negative or positive effect on economic growth. It is also improper to make any type of generalizations of the potential relationship between economic growth and external debt. Thus, it is necessary to consider the case of each country separately.
Volume (Year): 4 (2004)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://iibf.ege.edu.tr/ENG/|
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Deshpande, Ashwini, 1997. "The debt overhang and the disincentive to invest," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 52(1), pages 169-187, February.
- Rockerbie, Duane W., 1993. "Credit rationing and macroeconomic adjustment in Latin America," The Quarterly Review of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 33(4), pages 325-342.
- Sawada, Yasuyuki, 1994. "Are the heavily indebted countries solvent?: Tests of intertemporal borrowing constraints," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 45(2), pages 325-337, December.
- Borensztein, Eduardo, 1990. "Debt overhang, credit rationing and investment," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(2), pages 315-335, April.
- Erdal Karagol, 2002. "The Causality Analysis of External Debt Service and GNP : The Case of Turkey," Central Bank Review, Research and Monetary Policy Department, Central Bank of the Republic of Turkey, vol. 2(1), pages 39-64.
- Cohen, Daniel, 1993. "Low Investment and Large LDC Debt in the 1980's," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 83(3), pages 437-49, June.
- Bert Hofman & Helmut Reisen, 1991. "Some evidence on debt-related determinants of investment and consumption in heavily indebted countries," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer;Institut für Weltwirtschaft (Kiel Institute for the World Economy), vol. 127(2), pages 281-299, June.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:ege:journl:v:4:y:2004:i:1:p:69-78. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Baris Gök)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.