Penalty Schedules and the Optimal Speed Limit
This paper incorporates the penalty schedule associated with the enforcement of a speed limit into the analysis of speed choice. If inadequately formulated, a penalty schedule may induce drivers to increase their speed relative to their unrestricted choice. It is always possible, however, to design a penalty schedule such that drivers will reduce their speed. It is also possible to induce total compliance with the speed limit.
Volume (Year): 16 (1990)
Issue (Month): 1 (Jan-Mar)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: c/o Dr. Alexandre Olbrecht, The Anisfield School of Business 205, Ramapo College, 505 Ramapo Valley Road, Ramapo, New Jersey 07430, USA|
Phone: (201) 684-7346
Web page: https://www.quinnipiac.edu/eea/
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Block, M K & Heineke, J M, 1975. "A Labor Theoretic Analysis of the Criminal Choice," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 65(3), pages 314-325, June.
- de Meza, David, 1986. "The efficiency of liability law," International Review of Law and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 107-113, June.
- Schoemaker, Paul J H, 1982. "The Expected Utility Model: Its Variants, Purposes, Evidence and Limitations," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 20(2), pages 529-563, June.
- Lave, Charles A, 1985. "Speeding, Coordination, and the 55 MPH Limit," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 75(5), pages 1159-1164, December.
- Dickens, William T., 1986. "Crime and punishment again: The economic approach with a psychological twist," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(1), pages 97-107, June.
- Jondrow, James & Bowes, Marianne & Levy, Robert, 1983. "The Optimal Speed Limit," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 21(3), pages 325-336, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eej:eeconj:v:16:y:1990:i:1:p:59-64. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Victor Matheson, College of the Holy Cross)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.