Acceptable Contracts, Opportunism, and Rigid Hourly Wages
This paper presents a model of opportunism and contingent wage schedules in labor markets, which is, in a sense, intermediate between the "implicit" and explicit contract approaches. The "expected utility" condition is not a part of the contract, but is a condition for the acceptability of a contract form by employees. Contract forms are constrained by conditions that are enforcable ex post. Of the contract forms examined, the only one mutually acceptable is one with inflexible hourly wages.
Volume (Year): 13 (1987)
Issue (Month): 3 (Jul-Sep)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: (201) 684-7346
Web page: http://www.ramapo.edu/eea/journal.html
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kahn, Charles M. & Green, Jerry, 1983.
3203642, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Benjamin Klein, 1984.
"Contract Costs and Administered Prices: An Economic Theory of Rigid Wages,"
UCLA Economics Working Papers
318, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Klein, Benjamin, 1984. "Contract Costs and Administered Prices: An Economic Theory of Rigid Wages," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 74(2), pages 332-38, May.
- repec:oup:qjecon:v:98:y:1983:i:3:p:123-56 is not listed on IDEAS
- Akerlof, George A & Yellen, Janet L, 1985. "Can Small Deviations from Rationality Make Significant Differences to Economic Equilibria?," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 75(4), pages 708-20, September.
- repec:oup:qjecon:v:98:y:1983:i:3:p:173-87 is not listed on IDEAS
- Eckalbar, John C, 1980. "The Stability of Non-Walrasian Processes: Two Examples," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 48(2), pages 371-86, March.
- Robert E. Hall & Edward P. Lazear, 1982.
"The Excess Sensitivity of Layoffs and Quits to Demand,"
NBER Working Papers
0864, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hall, Robert E & Lazear, Edward P, 1984. "The Excess Sensitivity of Layoffs and Quits to Demand," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 2(2), pages 233-57, April.
- Martin Neil Baily, 1974. "Wages and Employment under Uncertain Demand," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 41(1), pages 37-50.
- repec:oup:qjecon:v:98:y:1983:i:3:p:107-22 is not listed on IDEAS
- Oliver D. Hart, 1983. "Optimal Labour Contracts under Asymmetric Information: An Introduction," Review of Economic Studies, Oxford University Press, vol. 50(1), pages 3-35.
- repec:oup:qjecon:v:98:y:1983:i:3:p:157-72 is not listed on IDEAS
- Azariadis, Costas, 1975. "Implicit Contracts and Underemployment Equilibria," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 83(6), pages 1183-1202, December.
- repec:oup:qjecon:v:98:y:1983:i:3:p:1-22 is not listed on IDEAS
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eej:eeconj:v:13:y:1987:i:3:p:205-213. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Victor Matheson, College of the Holy Cross)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.