Wesley Mitchell: Institutions and Quantitative Methods
This article examines the link between W. C. Mitchell's quantitative methodology and his attachment to institutionalism. It is argued that, for Mitchell, quantitative analysis was an approach to an institutional economics, and that his methodological ideas were developed as much from his rejection of orthodox psychologism as from his more general views on the nature of science. In addition, it is shown that the difficulties and paradoxes in Mitchell's methodological work stem from his search for a more critical method together with his failure to entirely reject justificationist ideas.
Volume (Year): 13 (1987)
Issue (Month): 1 (Jan-Mar)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: c/o Dr. Alexandre Olbrecht, The Anisfield School of Business 205, Ramapo College, 505 Ramapo Valley Road, Ramapo, New Jersey 07430, USA|
Phone: (201) 684-7346
Web page: https://www.quinnipiac.edu/eea/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Leamer, Edward E, 1983.
"Let's Take the Con Out of Econometrics,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 73(1), pages 31-43, March.
- Malcolm Rutherford, 1984. "Thorstein Veblen and the Processes of Institutional Change," History of Political Economy, Duke University Press, vol. 16(3), pages 331-348, Fall.
- Mayer, Thomas, 1980. "Economics as a Hard Science: Realistic Goal or Wishful Thinking?," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 18(2), pages 165-78, April.
- Milton Friedman, 1952. "The Economic Theorist," NBER Chapters, in: Wesley Clair Mitchell: The Economic Scientist, pages 235-282 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Arthur F. Burns & Wesley C. Mitchell, 1946. "Measuring Business Cycles," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number burn46-1, June.
- Akerlof, George A, 1983. "Loyalty Filters," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 73(1), pages 54-63, March.
- Wesley C. Mitchell, 1910. "The Rationality of Economic Activity," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 18, pages 197.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eej:eeconj:v:13:y:1987:i:1:p:63-73. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Victor Matheson, College of the Holy Cross)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.