Microenterprise Lending to Female Entrepreneurs: Sacrificing Economic Growth for Poverty Alleviation?
Download full text from publisher
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
- Jiggins, Janice, 1989. "How poor women earn income in sub-Saharan Africa and what works against them," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 17(7), pages 953-963, July.
- Morduch, Jonathan, 2000. "The Microfinance Schism," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 28(4), pages 617-629, April.
- Kevane, Michael & Wydick, Bruce, 2001. "Social Norms and the Time Allocation of Women's Labor in Burkina Faso," Review of Development Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 5(1), pages 119-129, February.
- Hashemi, Syed M. & Schuler, Sidney Ruth & Riley, Ann P., 1996. "Rural credit programs and women's empowerment in Bangladesh," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 24(4), pages 635-653, April.
- McKee, Katharine, 1989. "Microlevel strategies for supporting livelihoods, employment, and income generation of poor women in the third world: The challenge of significance," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 17(7), pages 993-1006, July.
- Barham, Bradford L. & Boucher, Stephen & Carter, Michael R., 1996. "Credit constraints, credit unions, and small-scale producers in Guatemala," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 24(5), pages 793-806, May.
- Berger, Marguerite, 1989. "Giving women credit: The strengths and limitations of credit as a tool for alleviating poverty," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 17(7), pages 1017-1032, July.
- Tokman, Victor E., 1989. "Policies for a heterogeneous informal sector in Latin America," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 17(7), pages 1067-1076, July.
- Mosley, Paul & Hulme, David, 1998. "Microenterprise finance: Is there a conflict between growth and poverty alleviation?," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 26(5), pages 783-790, May.
- Mark M. Pitt & Shahidur R. Khandker, 1998. "The Impact of Group-Based Credit Programs on Poor Households in Bangladesh: Does the Gender of Participants Matter?," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 106(5), pages 958-996, October.
- Wydick, Bruce, 1999. "Can Social Cohesion Be Harnessed to Repair Market Failures? Evidence from Group Lending in Guatemala," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 109(457), pages 463-475, July.
Most related itemsThese are the items that most often cite the same works as this one and are cited by the same works as this one.
- Gutiérrez-Nieto, Begoña & Serrano-Cinca, Carlos, 2019.
"20 years of research in microfinance: An information management approach,"
International Journal of Information Management, Elsevier, vol. 47(C), pages 183-197.
- Begoña Gutiérrez Nieto & Carlos Serrano-Cinca, 2019. "20 Years of Research in Microfinance: An Information Management Approach," Working Papers CEB 19-005, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Namayengo., Faith & van Ophem, Johan A.C. & Antonides, Gerrit, 2016. "Women And Microcredit In Rural Agrarian Households Of Uganda: Match Or Mismatch Between Lender And Borrower?," APSTRACT: Applied Studies in Agribusiness and Commerce, AGRIMBA, vol. 10(2-3), pages 1-12, October.
- Simon Zaby, 2019. "Science Mapping of the Global Knowledge Base on Microfinance: Influential Authors and Documents, 1989–2019," Sustainability, MDPI, vol. 11(14), pages 1-21, July.
- Mark Schreiner, 2002.
"Aspects of outreach: a framework for discussion of the social benefits of microfinance,"
Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 14(5), pages 591-603.
- Mark Schreiner, 2001. "Aspects of Outreach: A Framework for the Discussion of the Social Benefits of Microfinance," Development and Comp Systems 0109003, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Félix, Elisabete Gomes Santana & Belo, Teresa Freitas, 2019. "The impact of microcredit on poverty reduction in eleven developing countries in south-east Asia," Journal of Multinational Financial Management, Elsevier, vol. 52.
- Johar, Meliyanni & Rammohan, Anu, 2006. "Demand for Microcredit by Indonesian women," Working Papers 2006-03, University of Sydney, School of Economics.
- Antonio Andreoni, 2013. "Microfinance," Chapters, in: Luigino Bruni & Stefano Zamagni (ed.), Handbook on the Economics of Reciprocity and Social Enterprise, chapter 22, pages 227-237, Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Garikipati, Supriya, 2008. "The Impact of Lending to Women on Household Vulnerability and Women's Empowerment: Evidence from India," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 36(12), pages 2620-2642, December.
- James C. Brau & Gary M. Woller, 2004. "Microfinance: A Comprehensive Review of the Existing Literature," Journal of Entrepreneurial Finance, Pepperdine University, Graziadio School of Business and Management, vol. 9(1), pages 1-28, Spring.
- Richard Disney & Eleonora Fischera & Trudy Owens, 2010. "Has the Introduction of Microfinance Crowded-out Informal Loans in Malawi?," Discussion Papers 10/08, University of Nottingham, CREDIT.
- Islam, Asadul & Nguyen, Chau & Smyth, Russell, 2015.
"Does microfinance change informal lending in village economies? Evidence from Bangladesh,"
Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 50(C), pages 141-156.
- Asad Islam & Chau Nguyen & Russell Smyth, 2014. "Does microfinance change informal lending in village economies? Evidence from Bangladesh," Monash Economics Working Papers 16-14, Monash University, Department of Economics.
- Leonardo Becchetti & Pierluigi Conzo, 2014.
"The effects of microfinance on child schooling: a retrospective approach,"
Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 24(2), pages 89-106, January.
- Leonardo Becchetti & Pierluigi Conzo, 2010. "The controversial effects of microfinance on child schooling: A retrospective approach," Working Papers 173, ECINEQ, Society for the Study of Economic Inequality.
- Alan Gilbert, 1994. "Third World Cities: Poverty, Employment, Gender Roles and the Environment during a Time of Restructuring," Urban Studies, Urban Studies Journal Limited, vol. 31(4-5), pages 605-633, May.
- Magloire TCHATCHOUA NYA & Alexandre AIACOBOAIEI, 2022. "Commercialisation des institutions de microfinance entraine-t-elle toujours une dérive de mission ?," Journal of Academic Finance, RED research unit, university of Gabes, Tunisia, vol. 13(1), pages 123-139, June.
- Rao, Smriti, 2008. "Reforms with a Female Face: Gender, Liberalization, and Economic Policy in Andhra Pradesh, India," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 36(7), pages 1213-1232, July.
- Prabirendra Chatterjee & Sudipta, Sarangi, "undated".
"Social Identity and Group Lending,"
UWEC-2005-06-R, University of Washington, Department of Economics.
- Prabirendra Chatterjee & Sudipta Sarangi, 2004. "Social Identity and Group Lending," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 405, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Sudipta Sarangi & Prabirendra Chatterjee, 2004. "Social Identity and Group Lending," Departmental Working Papers 2004-01, Department of Economics, Louisiana State University.
- Jones, Gareth A. & Dallimore, Anthea, 2009. "Wither participatory banking?: experiences with village banks in South Africa," LSE Research Online Documents on Economics 23354, London School of Economics and Political Science, LSE Library.
- World Bank, 2001. "Risk Management in South Asia : A Poverty Focused Approach," World Bank Publications - Reports 15449, The World Bank Group.
- Janda, Karel & Zetek, Pavel, 2014. "Mikrofinanční Revoluce: Aktuální Kontroverze A Výzvy [Microfinance Revolution: Recent Controversies And Challenges]," MPRA Paper 54098, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Nebal Al Maaitah, 2019. "The Legitimacy of Profit of Microlending Institutions and Womens Empowerment: A Case Study from Jordan," Theory Methodology Practice (TMP), Faculty of Economics, University of Miskolc, vol. 15(01), pages 3-17.
More about this item
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:wdevel:v:29:y:2001:i:7:p:1225-1236. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: . General contact details of provider: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/worlddev .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: Catherine Liu (email available below). General contact details of provider: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/worlddev .
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.