Optimal allocation of turns to lanes at an isolated signal-controlled junction
Conventional design methods require the lane marking patterns, which are painted on ground showing road users the permissible turning directions on different approach lanes, as exogenous inputs to define the traffic stream grouping for analysis. This predefined grouping of traffic movements may restrict the design of signal timings in the optimisation procedures. More recently, a lane-based design method has been developed to relax the lane markings as binary-type control variables in a mathematical programming approach. The lane marking patterns and the signal timings can then be optimised simultaneously in a unified framework. This paper presents an extension work to further relax the numbers of approach lane in traffic arms as new integer variables which can then be optimised to give optimal lane arrangement in various arms of a junction to manage the given traffic demands more efficiently. All well-defined signal timings variables in the phase-based approach as well as the lane marking and lane flow variables in the lane-based approach together with their governing constraints are all preserved in the new formulation for the reserve capacity optimisation of isolated signal-controlled junctions.
Volume (Year): 45 (2011)
Issue (Month): 4 (May)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/548/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/supportfaq.cws_home/regional|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Improta, G. & Cantarella, G. E., 1984. "Control system design for an individual signalized junction," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 147-167, April.
- Gallivan, Stephen & Heydecker, Benjamin, 1988. "Optimising the control performance of traffic signals at a single junction," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 22(5), pages 357-370, October.
- Wong, S. C. & Yang, Hai, 1997. "Reserve capacity of a signal-controlled road network," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 31(5), pages 397-402, October.
- Wong, S. C., 1996. "On the reserve capacities of priority junctions and roundabouts," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 30(6), pages 441-453, December.
- Wong, C. K. & Wong, S. C., 2003. "Lane-based optimization of signal timings for isolated junctions," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 37(1), pages 63-84, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:transb:v:45:y:2011:i:4:p:667-681. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.