Estimation of the variance of partial sums of dependent processes
We study subsampling estimators for the limit variance σ2=V ar(X1)+2∑k=2∞Cov(X1,Xk) of partial sums of a stationary stochastic process (Xk)k≥1. We establish L2-consistency of a non-overlapping block resampling method. Our results apply to processes that can be represented as functionals of strongly mixing processes. Motivated by recent applications to rank tests, we also study estimators for the series V ar(F(X1))+2∑k=2∞Cov(F(X1),F(Xk)), where F is the distribution function of X1. Simulations illustrate the usefulness of the proposed estimators and of a mean squared error optimal rule for the choice of the block length.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Volume (Year): 83 (2013)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/622892/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/supportfaq.cws_home/regional|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Shao, Qi-Man & Yu, Hao, 1993. "Bootstrapping the sample means for stationary mixing sequences," Stochastic Processes and their Applications, Elsevier, vol. 48(1), pages 175-190, October.
- de Jong, R.M. & Davidson, J., 1996.
"Consistency of Kernel Estimators of Heteroscedastic and Autocorrelated Covariance Matrices,"
1996-52, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Robert M. De Jong & James Davidson, 2000. "Consistency of Kernel Estimators of Heteroscedastic and Autocorrelated Covariance Matrices," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 68(2), pages 407-424, March.
- Doukhan, Paul & Louhichi, Sana, 1999. "A new weak dependence condition and applications to moment inequalities," Stochastic Processes and their Applications, Elsevier, vol. 84(2), pages 313-342, December.
- Peligard, Magda & Suresh, Ram, 1995. "Estimation of variance of partial sums of an associated sequence of random variables," Stochastic Processes and their Applications, Elsevier, vol. 56(2), pages 307-319, April.
- Croux, C. & Dehon, C., 2010. "Influence Functions of the Spearman and Kendall Correlation Measures," Discussion Paper 2010-40, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Dehling, Herold & Fried, Roland, 2012. "Asymptotic distribution of two-sample empirical U-quantiles with applications to robust tests for shifts in location," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 105(1), pages 124-140.
- Christophe Croux & Catherine Dehon, 2010. "Influence functions of the Spearman and Kendall correlation measures," Statistical Methods and Applications, Springer, vol. 19(4), pages 497-515, November.
- Peligrad, M. & Shao, Q. M., 1995. "Estimation of the Variance of Partial Sums for [rho]-Mixing Random Variables," Journal of Multivariate Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 52(1), pages 140-157, January.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:stapro:v:83:y:2013:i:1:p:141-147. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.