Offline and online weighted least squares estimation of nonstationary power ARCH processes
This paper proposes two estimation methods based on a weighted least squares criterion for non-(strictly) stationary power ARCH models. The weights are the squared volatilities evaluated at a known value in the parameter space. The first method is adapted for fixed sample size data while the second one allows for online data available in real time. It will be shown that these methods provide consistent and asymptotically Gaussian estimates having asymptotic variance equal to that of the quasi-maximum likelihood estimate (QMLE) regardless of the value of the weighting parameter. Finite-sample performances of the proposed WLS estimates are shown via a simulation study for various sub-classes of power ARCH models.
Volume (Year): 81 (2011)
Issue (Month): 10 (October)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/622892/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/supportfaq.cws_home/regional|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ding, Zhuanxin & Granger, Clive W. J. & Engle, Robert F., 1993. "A long memory property of stock market returns and a new model," Journal of Empirical Finance, Elsevier, vol. 1(1), pages 83-106, June.
- Dickey, David A & Fuller, Wayne A, 1981. "Likelihood Ratio Statistics for Autoregressive Time Series with a Unit Root," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 49(4), pages 1057-1072, June.
- Jensen, S ren Tolver & Rahbek, Anders, 2004. "Asymptotic Inference For Nonstationary Garch," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 20(06), pages 1203-1226, December.
- Linton, Oliver & Pan, Jiazhu & Wang, Hui, 2010. "Estimation For A Nonstationary Semi-Strong Garch(1,1) Model With Heavy-Tailed Errors," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 26(01), pages 1-28, February.
- Søren Tolver Jensen & Anders Rahbek, 2004. "Asymptotic Normality of the QMLE Estimator of ARCH in the Nonstationary Case," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 72(2), pages 641-646, 03.
- Lumsdaine, Robin L, 1996. "Consistency and Asymptotic Normality of the Quasi-maximum Likelihood Estimator in IGARCH(1,1) and Covariance Stationary GARCH(1,1) Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 64(3), pages 575-596, May.
- Pan, Jiazhu & Wang, Hui & Tong, Howell, 2008. "Estimation and tests for power-transformed and threshold GARCH models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 142(1), pages 352-378, January.
- Francq, Christian & Zakoian, Jean-Michel, 2010. "Strict stationarity testing and estimation of explosive ARCH models," MPRA Paper 22414, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Higgins, Matthew L & Bera, Anil K, 1992. "A Class of Nonlinear ARCH Models," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 33(1), pages 137-158, February.
- Hwang, S. Y. & Basawa, I. V., 2004. "Stationarity and moment structure for Box-Cox transformed threshold GARCH(1,1) processes," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 68(3), pages 209-220, July.
- S. Y. Hwang & I. V. Basawa, 2005. "Explosive Random-Coefficient AR(1) Processes and Related Asymptotics for Least-Squares Estimation," Journal of Time Series Analysis, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 26(6), pages 807-824, November.
- Nelson, Daniel B., 1990. "Stationarity and Persistence in the GARCH(1,1) Model," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 6(03), pages 318-334, September.
- István Berkes & Lajos Horváth & Shiqing Ling, 2009. "Estimation in nonstationary random coefficient autoregressive models," Journal of Time Series Analysis, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 30(4), pages 395-416, 07.