Inference in Non Stationary Asymmetric Garch Models
This paper considers the statistical inference of the class of asymmetric power-transformed GARCH(1,1) models in presence of possible explosiveness. We study the explosive behavior of volatility when the strict stationarity condition is not met. This allows us to establish the asymptotic normality of the quasi-maximum likelihood estimator (QMLE) of the parameter, including the power but without the intercept, when strict stationarity does not hold. Two important issues can be tested in this framework: asymmetry and stationarity. The tests exploit the existence of a universal estimator of the asymptotic covariance matrix of the QMLE. By establishing the local asymptotic normality (LAN) property in this nonstationary framework, we can also study optimality issues
|Date of creation:||Aug 2013|
|Date of revision:|
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: |
Phone: 01 41 17 60 81
Web page: http://www.crest.fr
More information through EDIRC
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Pan, Jiazhu & Wang, Hui & Tong, Howell, 2008. "Estimation and tests for power-transformed and threshold GARCH models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 142(1), pages 352-378, January.
- Abdelhakim Aknouche & Eid Al-Eid, 2012. "Asymptotic inference of unstable periodic ARCH processes," Statistical Inference for Stochastic Processes, Springer, vol. 15(1), pages 61-79, April.
- Aknouche, Abdelhakim & Al-Eid, Eid M. & Hmeid, Aboubakry M., 2011. "Offline and online weighted least squares estimation of nonstationary power ARCH processes," Statistics & Probability Letters, Elsevier, vol. 81(10), pages 1535-1540, October.
- Søren Tolver Jensen & Anders Rahbek, 2004. "Asymptotic Normality of the QMLE Estimator of ARCH in the Nonstationary Case," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 72(2), pages 641-646, 03.
- Engle, Robert F, 1982. "Autoregressive Conditional Heteroscedasticity with Estimates of the Variance of United Kingdom Inflation," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(4), pages 987-1007, July.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521496032 is not listed on IDEAS
- Drost, F.C. & Klaassen, C.A.J., 1996.
"Efficient Estimation in Semiparametric GARCH Models,"
1996-38, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Drost, Feike C. & Klaassen, Chris A. J., 1997. "Efficient estimation in semiparametric GARCH models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 81(1), pages 193-221, November.
- Drost, F.C. & Klaassen, C.A.J., 1997. "Efficient estimation in semiparametric GARCH models," Other publications TiSEM c7de3f1c-c456-433e-a1c6-2, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Drost, F.C. & Klaassen, C.A.J. & Werker, B.J.M., 1997. "Adaptive estimation in time-series models," Other publications TiSEM aa253902-af93-4e1e-b974-2, Tilburg University, School of Economics and Management.
- Nelson, Daniel B., 1990. "Stationarity and Persistence in the GARCH(1,1) Model," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 6(03), pages 318-334, September.
- Bollerslev, Tim, 1986.
"Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 307-327, April.
- Tim Bollerslev, 1986. "Generalized autoregressive conditional heteroskedasticity," EERI Research Paper Series EERI RP 1986/01, Economics and Econometrics Research Institute (EERI), Brussels.
- Rabemananjara, R & Zakoian, J M, 1993. "Threshold Arch Models and Asymmetries in Volatility," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 8(1), pages 31-49, Jan.-Marc.
- Higgins, Matthew L & Bera, Anil K, 1992. "A Class of Nonlinear ARCH Models," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 33(1), pages 137-58, February.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:crs:wpaper:2013-11. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Florian Sallaberry)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.