Past horrors, present struggles: The role of stigma in the association between war experiences and psychosocial adjustment among former child soldiers in Sierra Leone
Download full text from publisher
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
- Macartan Humphreys & Jeremy M. Weinstein, 2007. "Demobilization and Reintegration," Journal of Conflict Resolution, Peace Science Society (International), vol. 51(4), pages 531-567, August.
- Meyer, Ilan H. & Schwartz, Sharon & Frost, David M., 2008. "Social patterning of stress and coping: Does disadvantaged social statuses confer more stress and fewer coping resources?," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 67(3), pages 368-379, August.
- Yang, Lawrence Hsin & Kleinman, Arthur & Link, Bruce G. & Phelan, Jo C. & Lee, Sing & Good, Byron, 2007. "Culture and stigma: Adding moral experience to stigma theory," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 64(7), pages 1524-1535, April.
- Williams, David R. & Gonzalez, Hector M. & Williams, Stacey & Mohammed, Selina A. & Moomal, Hashim & Stein, Dan J., 2008. "Perceived discrimination, race and health in South Africa," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 67(3), pages 441-452, August.
- Mak, Winnie W.S. & Poon, Cecilia Y.M. & Pun, Loraine Y.K. & Cheung, Shu Fai, 2007. "Meta-analysis of stigma and mental health," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 65(2), pages 245-261, July.
- Brinton Lykes, M., 1994. "Terror, silencing and children: International, multidisciplinary collaboration with Guatemalan Maya communities," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 38(4), pages 543-552, February.
- Link, Bruce & Castille, Dorothy M. & Stuber, Jennifer, 2008. "Stigma and coercion in the context of outpatient treatment for people with mental illnesses," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 67(3), pages 409-419, August.
- Dovidio, John F. & Penner, Louis A. & Albrecht, Terrance L. & Norton, Wynne E. & Gaertner, Samuel L. & Shelton, J. Nicole, 2008. "Disparities and distrust: The implications of psychological processes for understanding racial disparities in health and health care," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 67(3), pages 478-486, August.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Trani, Jean-François & Cannings, Tim I., 2013. "Child Poverty in an Emergency and Conflict Context: A Multidimensional Profile and an Identification of the Poorest Children in Western Darfur," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 48(C), pages 48-70.
- Barber, Brian K. & McNeely, Clea & Olsen, Joseph A. & Belli, Robert F. & Doty, Samuel Benjamin, 2016. "Long-term exposure to political violence: The particular injury of persistent humiliation," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 156(C), pages 154-166.
- Trani, Jean-Francois & Ballard, Ellis & Peña, Juan B., 2016. "Stigma of persons with disabilities in Afghanistan: Examining the pathways from stereotyping to mental distress," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 153(C), pages 258-265.
- Enkelejda Havari & Franco Peracchi, 2014. "Growing up in wartime - Evidence from the era of two world wars," EIEF Working Papers Series 1405, Einaudi Institute for Economics and Finance (EIEF), revised Sep 2014.
- T.S. Betancourt & A. Ettien, 2010. "Transitional Justice and Youth Formerly Associated with Armed Forces and Armed Groups: Acceptance, marginalization and psychosocial adjustment," Papers inwopa614, Innocenti Working Papers.
- Foster, Holly & Brooks-Gunn, Jeanne, 2015. "Children's exposure to community and war violence and mental health in four African countries," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 146(C), pages 292-299.
- Tay, Alvin Kuowei & Rees, Susan & Chan, Jack & Kareth, Moses & Silove, Derrick, 2015. "Examining the broader psychosocial effects of mass conflict on PTSD symptoms and functional impairment amongst West Papuan refugees resettled in Papua New Guinea (PNG)," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 132(C), pages 70-78.
More about this item
KeywordsWar Mental health Children Adolescents Child soldiers Trauma Stigma Sierra Leone;
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:socmed:v:70:y:2010:i:1:p:17-26. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu). General contact details of provider: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/315/description#description .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.