Economic valuation of informal care: Lessons from the application of the opportunity costs and proxy good methods
Download full text from publisher
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
- Bernard van den Berg & Han Bleichrodt & Louis Eeckhoudt, 2005.
"The economic value of informal care: a study of informal caregivers' and patients' willingness to pay and willingness to accept for informal care,"
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 14(4), pages 363-376.
- B. Van den Berg & H. Bleichrodt & L. Eeckhoudt, 2005. "The economic value of informal care: a study of informal caregivers' and patients' willingness to pay and willingness to accept for informal care," Post-Print hal-00200697, HAL.
- van den Berg, Bernard & Al, Maiwenn & Brouwer, Werner & van Exel, Job & Koopmanschap, Marc, 2005. "Economic valuation of informal care: The conjoint measurement method applied to informal caregiving," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 61(6), pages 1342-1355, September.
- Blackwell, John & O'Shea, Eamon & Moane, Geraldine & Murray, Peter, 1992. "Care Provision and Cost Measurement: Dependent Elderly People at Home and in Geriatric Hospitals," Research Series, Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI), number GRS157.
- Juster, F Thomas & Stafford, Frank P, 1991.
"The Allocation of Time: Empirical Findings, Behavioral Models, and Problems of Measurement,"
Journal of Economic Literature,
American Economic Association, vol. 29(2), pages 471-522, June.
- Juster, F. Thomas & Stafford, Frank P., 1990. "The Allocation of Time: Empirical Findings, Behavioural Models, and Problems of Measurement," Working Paper Series 258, Research Institute of Industrial Economics.
- Norton, Edward C., 2000. "Long-term care," Handbook of Health Economics,in: A. J. Culyer & J. P. Newhouse (ed.), Handbook of Health Economics, edition 1, volume 1, chapter 17, pages 955-994 Elsevier.
- Wimo, Anders & von Strauss, Eva & Nordberg, Gunilla & Sassi, Franco & Johansson, Lennarth, 2002. "Time spent on informal and formal care giving for persons with dementia in Sweden," Health Policy, Elsevier, vol. 61(3), pages 255-268, September.
- Bernard van denBerg & Werner Brouwer & Job van Exel & Marc Koopmanschap, 2005. "Economic valuation of informal care: the contingent valuation method applied to informal caregiving," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 14(2), pages 169-183.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Krol, Marieke & Brouwer, Werner, 2015. "Unpaid work in health economic evaluations," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 144(C), pages 127-137.
- Emmanouil Mentzakis & Mandy Ryan & Paul McNamee, 2014. "Modelling Heterogeneity and Uncertainty in Contingent Valuation: an Application to the Valuation of Informal Care," Scottish Journal of Political Economy, Scottish Economic Society, vol. 61(1), pages 1-25, February.
- Renske Hoefman & Job Exel & Werner Brouwer, 2013. "How to Include Informal Care in Economic Evaluations," PharmacoEconomics, Springer, vol. 31(12), pages 1105-1119, December.
- Allison Larg & John Moss, 2011. "Cost-of-Illness Studies," PharmacoEconomics, Springer, vol. 29(8), pages 653-671, August.
- Emmanouil Mentzakis & Paul McNamee & Mandy Ryan & Matthew Sutton, 2012. "Valuing Informal Care Experience: Does Choice of Measure Matter?," Social Indicators Research: An International and Interdisciplinary Journal for Quality-of-Life Measurement, Springer, vol. 108(1), pages 169-184, August.
- Claudine de Meijer & Werner Brouwer & Marc Koopmanschap & Bernard van den Berg & Job van Exel, 2010. "The value of informal care-a further investigation of the feasibility of contingent valuation in informal caregivers," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 19(7), pages 755-771.
- Paul Hanly & Alan Céilleachair & Mairead Skally & Eamonn O’Leary & Anthony Staines & Kanika Kapur & Patricia Fitzpatrick & Linda Sharp, 2013. "Time Costs Associated with Informal Care for Colorectal Cancer: An Investigation of the Impact of Alternative Valuation Methods," Applied Health Economics and Health Policy, Springer, vol. 11(3), pages 193-203, June.
- Luz Peña-Longobardo & Juan Oliva-Moreno, 2015. "Economic valuation and determinants of informal care to people with Alzheimer’s disease," The European Journal of Health Economics, Springer;Deutsche Gesellschaft für Gesundheitsökonomie (DGGÖ), vol. 16(5), pages 507-515, June.
- van den Berg, Bernard & Fiebig, Denzil G. & Hall, Jane, 2014. "Well-being losses due to care-giving," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 35(C), pages 123-131.
- Juan Oliva-Moreno & Marta Trapero-Bertran & Luz Maria Peña-Longobardo & Raúl del Pozo-Rubio, 2017. "The Valuation of Informal Care in Cost-of-Illness Studies: A Systematic Review," PharmacoEconomics, Springer, vol. 35(3), pages 331-345, March.
- Kenneth Tang, 2015. "Estimating Productivity Costs in Health Economic Evaluations: A Review of Instruments and Psychometric Evidence," PharmacoEconomics, Springer, vol. 33(1), pages 31-48, January.
- Marieke Krol & Werner Brouwer, 2014. "How to Estimate Productivity Costs in Economic Evaluations," PharmacoEconomics, Springer, vol. 32(4), pages 335-344, April.
- Alain Paraponaris & Bérengère Davin & Pierre Verger, 2012. "Formal and informal care for disabled elderly living in the community: an appraisal of French care composition and costs," The European Journal of Health Economics, Springer;Deutsche Gesellschaft für Gesundheitsökonomie (DGGÖ), vol. 13(3), pages 327-336, June.
- Nagede Costa & Helene Derumeaux & Thomas Rapp & Valérie Garnault & Laura Ferlicoq & Sophie Gillette & Sandrine Andrieu & Bruno Vellas & Michel Lamure & Alain Grand & Laurent Molinier, 2012. "Methodological considerations in cost of illness studies on Alzheimer disease," Health Economics Review, Springer, vol. 2(1), pages 1-12, December.
- Rapp, Thomas & Grand, Alain & Cantet, Christelle & Andrieu, Sandrine & Coley, Nicola & Portet, Florence & Vellas, Bruno, 2011. "Public financial support receipt and non-medical resource utilization in Alzheimer's disease results from the PLASA study," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 72(8), pages 1310-1316, April.
- James Shearer & Paul McCrone & Renee Romeo, 2016. "Economic Evaluation of Mental Health Interventions: A Guide to Costing Approaches," PharmacoEconomics, Springer, vol. 34(7), pages 651-664, July.
- Juan Oliva-Moreno & Luz Peña-Longobardo & Cristina Vilaplana-Prieto, 2015. "An Estimation of the Value of Informal Care Provided to Dependent People in Spain," Applied Health Economics and Health Policy, Springer, vol. 13(2), pages 223-231, April.
- Hassink, Wolter H.J. & Van den Berg, Bernard, 2011.
"Time-bound opportunity costs of informal care: Consequences for access to professional care, caregiver support, and labour supply estimates,"
Social Science & Medicine,
Elsevier, vol. 73(10), pages 1508-1516.
- Hassink, Wolter & van den Berg, Bernard, 2011. "Time-Bound Opportunity Costs of Informal Care: Consequences for Access to Professional Care, Caregiver Support, and Labour Supply Estimates," IZA Discussion Papers 5433, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Riewpaiboon, Arthorn & Riewpaiboon, Wachara & Ponsoongnern, Kanyarat & Van den Berg, Bernard, 2009. "Economic valuation of informal care in Asia: A case study of care for disabled stroke survivors in Thailand," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 69(4), pages 648-653, August.
- Dumont, Serge & Jacobs, Philip & Turcotte, Véronique & Anderson, Donna & Harel, François, 2010. "Measurement challenges of informal caregiving: A novel measurement method applied to a cohort of palliative care patients," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 71(10), pages 1890-1895, November.
- Jane Hall & Patricia Kenny & Ishrat Hossain, 2007. "The provision of informal care in terminal illness: An analysis of carers? needs using a discrete choice experiment," Working Papers 2007/12, CHERE, University of Technology, Sydney.
More about this item
KeywordsInformal care Economic evaluations Opportunity costs method Proxy good method Stroke Rheumatoid arthritis The Netherlands;
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:socmed:v:62:y:2006:i:4:p:835-845. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu). General contact details of provider: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/315/description#description .
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your RePEc Author Service profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.