Why is less money spent on health care for the elderly than for the rest of the population? Health care rationing in German hospitals
Download full text from publisher
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
- Miller, Douglas L. & Paxson, Christina, 2006. "Relative income, race, and mortality," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 25(5), pages 979-1003, September.
- Angus Deaton, 2001. "Relative Deprivation, Inequality, and Mortality," NBER Working Papers 8099, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Victor R. Fuchs & Mark B. McClellan & Jonathan S. Skinner, 2004.
"Area Differences in Utilization of Medical Care and Mortality among U.S. Elderly,"
NBER Chapters,in: Perspectives on the Economics of Aging, pages 367-414
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Victor R. Fuchs & Mark McClellan & Jonathan Skinner, 2001. "Area Differences in Utilization of Medical Care and Mortality Among U.S. Elderly," NBER Working Papers 8628, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Christopher J. Ruhm, 2000. "Are Recessions Good for Your Health?," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, Oxford University Press, vol. 115(2), pages 617-650.
- Alberto Alesina & Reza Baqir & William Easterly, 1999.
"Public Goods and Ethnic Divisions,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
Oxford University Press, vol. 114(4), pages 1243-1284.
- Alberto Alesina & Reza Baqir & William Easterly, 1997. "Public Goods and Ethnic Divisions," NBER Working Papers 6009, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Baqir, Reza & Easterly, William & Alesina, Alberto, 1999. "Public Goods and Ethnic Divisions," Scholarly Articles 4551797, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Alesina, Alberto & Baqir, Reza & Easterly, William, 1999. "Public goods and ethnic divisions," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2108, The World Bank.
- Michael Grossman, 1976. "The Correlation between Health and Schooling," NBER Chapters,in: Household Production and Consumption, pages 147-224 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jennifer M. Mellor & Jeffrey Milyo, 1999. "Re-Examining the Evidence of an Ecological Association between Income Inequality and Health," Discussion Papers Series, Department of Economics, Tufts University 9922, Department of Economics, Tufts University.
- repec:aph:ajpbhl:1998:88:7:1074-1080_3 is not listed on IDEAS
- repec:aph:ajpbhl:2001:91:3:385-391_5 is not listed on IDEAS
- David A. Jaeger & Susanna Loeb & Sarah E. Turner & John Bound, 1998. "Coding Geographic Areas Across Census Years: Creating Consistent Definitions of Metropolitan Areas," NBER Working Papers 6772, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
CitationsCitations are extracted by the CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Gandjour, Afschin & Lauterbach, Karl Wilhelm, 2005. "Does prevention save costs?: Considering deferral of the expensive last year of life," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 24(4), pages 715-724, July.
- Louise Sheiner, 2004. "The effects of technology on the age distribution of health spending: a cross-country perspective," Finance and Economics Discussion Series 2004-14, Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.).
- Murphy, Michael & Martikainen, Pekka, 2013. "Use of hospital and long-term institutional care services in relation to proximity to death among older people in Finland," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 88(C), pages 39-47.
- Wörz, Markus, 2011. "Financial consequences of falling ill: Changes in the German health insurance system since the 1980s," Discussion Papers, Research Unit: Inequality and Social Integration SP I 2011-209, Social Science Research Center Berlin (WZB).
- Rolden, Herbert J.A. & van Bodegom, David & Westendorp, Rudi G.J., 2014. "Variation in the costs of dying and the role of different health services, socio-demographic characteristics, and preceding health care expenses," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 120(C), pages 110-117.
- Polder, Johan J. & Barendregt, Jan J. & van Oers, Hans, 2006. "Health care costs in the last year of life--The Dutch experience," Social Science & Medicine, Elsevier, vol. 63(7), pages 1720-1731, October.
- Gielen, Birgit & Remacle, Anne & Mertens, Raf, 2010. "Patterns of health care use and expenditure during the last 6 months of life in Belgium: Differences between age categories in cancer and non-cancer patients," Health Policy, Elsevier, vol. 97(1), pages 53-61, September.
- Emi Sato & Kiyohide Fushimi, 2009. "What has influenced patient health-care expenditures in Japan?: variables of age, death, length of stay, and medical care," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 18(7), pages 843-853.
- Melberg, Hans Olav & Sørensen, Jan, 2013. "How does end of life costs and increases in life expectancy affect projections of future hospital spending?," HERO On line Working Paper Series 2013:9, Oslo University, Health Economics Research Programme.
- Xesfingi, Sofia & Vozikis, Athanassios, 2014. "Citizens’ Preferences on Health Care Expenditure Allocation: Evidence from Greece," MPRA Paper 63419, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- repec:jns:jbstat:v:227:y:2007:i:5-6:p:578-602 is not listed on IDEAS
- Ishizaki, Tatsuro & Imanaka, Yuichi & Oh, Eun-Hwan & Sekimoto, Miho & Hayashida, Kenshi & Kobuse, Hiroe, 2008. "Association between patient age and hospitalization resource use in a teaching hospital in Japan," Health Policy, Elsevier, vol. 87(1), pages 20-30, July.
More about this item
KeywordsElderly Health care expenditures Health care rationing Germany;
StatisticsAccess and download statistics
All material on this site has been provided by the respective publishers and authors. You can help correct errors and omissions. When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:socmed:v:55:y:2002:i:4:p:593-608. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu). General contact details of provider: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/315/description#description .
We have no references for this item. You can help adding them by using this form .