A new approach to assess the performance of the Brazilian National Immunization Program (NIP)
The present study develops an alternative measure of efficiency to assess the Brazilian National Immunization Program (NIP) using Data Envelopment Analysis (DEA), an output-oriented variable returns to scale (VRS) model, to combine different homogeneity indicators within a unique composite index and evaluate the socio-demographic differences among states. The new DEA index allows homogeneity indicators to be measured for various vaccines in the same model, which enables the development of a composite index for “the first year of life” immunization cycle. In Brazil 2010, the mean efficiency score for the 26 states was 0.89 (0.14 SD). Eleven states were considered efficient, and eight of them were located in regions with a high Human Development Index (HDI) and small rural population, which reinforces the concept that regional and socioeconomic differences must be considered during immunization planning. To reach the frontier of best practice, each state should have an individual and attainable goal for vaccine homogeneity.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Charnes, A. & Cooper, W. W. & Rhodes, E., 1978. "Measuring the efficiency of decision making units," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 2(6), pages 429-444, November.
- Michela Nardo & Michaela Saisana & Andrea Saltelli & Stefano Tarantola & Anders Hoffman & Enrico Giovannini, 2005. "Handbook on Constructing Composite Indicators: Methodology and User Guide," OECD Statistics Working Papers 2005/3, OECD Publishing.
- O'Neill, Liam & Rauner, Marion & Heidenberger, Kurt & Kraus, Markus, 2008. "A cross-national comparison and taxonomy of DEA-based hospital efficiency studies," Socio-Economic Planning Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 42(3), pages 158-189, September.
- Retzlaff-Roberts, Donna & Chang, Cyril F. & Rubin, Rose M., 2004. "Technical efficiency in the use of health care resources: a comparison of OECD countries," Health Policy, Elsevier, vol. 69(1), pages 55-72, July.
- Zhu, Joe, 2001. "Multidimensional quality-of-life measure with an application to Fortune's best cities," Socio-Economic Planning Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 35(4), pages 263-284, December.
- Bruce Hollingsworth & Anthony Harris & Elena Gospodarevskaya, 2002. "The efficiency of immunization of infants by local government," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 34(18), pages 2341-2345.
- Bruce Hollingsworth, 2008. "The measurement of efficiency and productivity of health care delivery," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 17(10), pages 1107-1128.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:soceps:v:48:y:2014:i:1:p:49-56. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.