Who was informative? Performance of foreign and local analysts’ stock recommendations during the Asian financial crisis
This paper examines the performance of foreign and local analysts’ stock recommendations in Indonesia, Malaysia, Thailand, and South Korea during the financial crisis of 1997–1998. Unlike most of the prior studies, our results provide strong evidence that neither of the two groups held a complete information advantage over the other during the period of crisis. Using a large dataset of analysts’ recommendations, we show that foreign analysts’ buy recommendations were more informative than local analysts’ buy recommendations, while the opposite held for sell recommendations, i.e. local analysts’ sell recommendations were more informative than foreign analysts’ sell recommendations. Our results provide evidence that neither of the frequently advanced explanations regarding relative performance of foreign and local analysts hold during the period of extreme uncertainty.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Holthausen, Robert W. & Larcker, David F., 1992. "The prediction of stock returns using financial statement information," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 15(2-3), pages 373-411, August.
- Lai, Sandy & Teo, Melvyn, 2008. "Home-Biased Analysts in Emerging Markets," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 43(03), pages 685-716, September.
- Leuz, Christian & Nanda, Dhananjay & Wysocki, Peter D., 2003. "Earnings management and investor protection: an international comparison," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 69(3), pages 505-527, September.
- Karolyi, G. Andrew, 2002. "Did the Asian financial crisis scare foreign investors out of Japan?," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 10(4), pages 411-442, September.
- Bae, Kee-Hong & Stulz, René M. & Tan, Hongping, 2008.
"Do local analysts know more? A cross-country study of the performance of local analysts and foreign analysts,"
Journal of Financial Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 88(3), pages 581-606, June.
- Bae, Kee-Hong & Stulz, Rene M. & Tan, Hongping, 2006. "Do Local Analysts Know More? A Cross-Country Study of the Performance of Local Analysts and Foreign Analysts," Working Paper Series 2005-18, Ohio State University, Charles A. Dice Center for Research in Financial Economics.
- Kee-Hong Bae & Rene M. Stulz & Hongping Tan, 2005. "Do Local Analysts Know More? A Cross-Country Study of the Performance of Local Analysts and Foreign Analysts," NBER Working Papers 11697, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Womack, Kent L, 1996. " Do Brokerage Analysts' Recommendations Have Investment Value?," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 51(1), pages 137-67, March.
- Christopher J. Malloy, 2005. "The Geography of Equity Analysis," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 60(2), pages 719-755, 04.
- Sullivan, Michael J. & Unite, Angelo A., 2001. "The influence of group affiliation and the underwriting process on emerging market IPOs: The case of the Philippines," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 9(5), pages 487-512, November.
- Claessens, Stijn & Djankov, Simeon & Lang, Larry H. P., 2000. "The separation of ownership and control in East Asian Corporations," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 58(1-2), pages 81-112.
- Kim, Jeong-Bon & Krinsky, Itzhak & Lee, Jason, 1995. "The aftermarket performance of initial public offerings in Korea," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 3(4), pages 429-448, December.
- Higgins, Huong Ngo, 2002. "Analysts' forecasts of Japanese firms' earnings: additional evidence," The International Journal of Accounting, Elsevier, vol. 37(4), pages 371-394.
- Chang, Charles, 2010. "Information footholds: Isolating local presence as a factor in analyst performance and trading," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 29(6), pages 1094-1107, October.
- Joshua D. Coval & Tobias J. Moskowitz, 2001. "The Geography of Investment: Informed Trading and Asset Prices," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 109(4), pages 811-841, August.
- Jegadeesh, Narasimhan & Kim, Woojin, 2006. "Value of analyst recommendations: International evidence," Journal of Financial Markets, Elsevier, vol. 9(3), pages 274-309, August.
- Li, Donghui & Moshirian, Fariborz & Nguyen, Pascal & Tan, Li-Wen, 2007. "Managerial ownership and firm performance: Evidence from China's privatizations," Research in International Business and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 21(3), pages 396-413, September.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:riibaf:v:29:y:2013:i:c:p:61-76. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.