An overview of project finance binomial loan valuation
Setting project financing parameters, such as the loan to valuation ratio, loan interest rate, repayment schedules, and fees, requires detailed modelling of the resulting credit risk in a non-recourse setting. Structured credit risk models, based on the early work of Merton, have been developed in continuous time which can assist with project financing structuring. These models require a level of mathematical sophistication that may not always be available to those undertaking project financing analysis. This note provides an overview of a discrete time binomial approach to structural credit risk modelling, which enables project financing analysts a more accessible tool to evaluate project loan structures.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Black, Fischer & Cox, John C, 1976. "Valuing Corporate Securities: Some Effects of Bond Indenture Provisions," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 31(2), pages 351-67, May.
- Dan Galai & Alon Raviv & Zvi Wiener, 2003.
"Liquidation Triggers and the Valuation of Equity and Debt,"
- Galai, Dan & Raviv, Alon & Wiener, Zvi, 2007. "Liquidation triggers and the valuation of equity and debt," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 31(12), pages 3604-3620, December.
- Esa Jokivuolle & Samu Peura, 2003. "Incorporating Collateral Value Uncertainty in Loss Given Default Estimates and Loan-to-value Ratios," European Financial Management, European Financial Management Association, vol. 9(3), pages 299-314.
- Hayne E. Leland and Klaus Bjerre Toft., 1995.
"Optimal Capital Structure, Endogenous Bankruptcy, and the Term Structure of Credit Spreads,"
Research Program in Finance Working Papers
RPF-259, University of California at Berkeley.
- Leland, Hayne E & Toft, Klaus Bjerre, 1996. " Optimal Capital Structure, Endogenous Bankruptcy, and the Term Structure of Credit Spreads," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 51(3), pages 987-1019, July.
- Geske, Robert, 1977. "The Valuation of Corporate Liabilities as Compound Options," Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis, Cambridge University Press, vol. 12(04), pages 541-552, November.
- L. C. G. Rogers & S. E. Satchell, 2000. "Does the behaviour of the asset tell us anything about the option price formula? A cautionary tale," Applied Financial Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 10(1), pages 37-39.
- Marliese Uhrig-Homburg, 2002. "Valuation Of Defaultable Claims – A Survey," Schmalenbach Business Review (sbr), LMU Munich School of Management, vol. 54(1), pages 24-57, January.
- Black, Fischer & Scholes, Myron S, 1973. "The Pricing of Options and Corporate Liabilities," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 81(3), pages 637-54, May-June.
- Hilscher, Jens, 2007. "Is the corporate bond market forward looking?," Working Paper Series 0800, European Central Bank.
- Amadou N. R. Sy & Jorge A. Chan-Lau, 2006. "Distance-To-Default in Banking: A Bridge too Far?," IMF Working Papers 06/215, International Monetary Fund.
- Episcopos, Athanasios, 2008. "Bank capital regulation in a barrier option framework," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 32(8), pages 1677-1686, August.
- Mark Broadie & Mikhail Chernov & Suresh Sundaresan, 2007. "Optimal Debt and Equity Values in the Presence of Chapter 7 and Chapter 11," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 62(3), pages 1341-1377, 06.
- Merton, Robert C, 1974.
"On the Pricing of Corporate Debt: The Risk Structure of Interest Rates,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 29(2), pages 449-70, May.
- Merton, Robert C., 1973. "On the pricing of corporate debt: the risk structure of interest rates," Working papers 684-73., Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Sloan School of Management.
- Anderson, Ronald W & Sundaresan, Suresh, 1996. "Design and Valuation of Debt Contracts," Review of Financial Studies, Society for Financial Studies, vol. 9(1), pages 37-68.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:revfin:v:19:y:2010:i:2:p:84-89. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.