Licensing or not licensing? An empirical analysis of the strategic use of patents by Japanese firms
This paper is a first attempt to analyze IP strategy of Japanese firms, by using large datasets from the Japan Patent Office's (JPO), called "Survey of Intellectual Property Activities (SIPA)." Descriptive regressions of IP strategy indicators suggest a non-linear relationship between firm size and licensing propensity. Small firms with fewer complementary assets, such as production facilities and marketing channels, tend to license more. At the same time, the licensing propensity of large firms is also high due to the effects of cross-licensing.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Arora, Ashish, 1997.
"Patents, licensing, and market structure in the chemical industry,"
Elsevier, vol. 26(4-5), pages 391-403, December.
- Ashish Arora, 1996. "Patents, Licensing, And Market Structure In The Chemical Industry," Industrial Organization 9605003, EconWPA.
- Arora, Ashish & Fosfuri, Andrea, 1999.
"Licensing the Market for Technology,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2284, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Kazuyuki Motohashi, 2003. "Japan's Patent System and Business Innovation: Reassessing Pro-patent Policies," Discussion papers 03020, Research Institute of Economy, Trade and Industry (RIETI).
- Lanjouw, Jean O & Schankerman, Mark, 2001. "Characteristics of Patent Litigation: A Window on Competition," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 32(1), pages 129-51, Spring.
- Ashish Arora & Andréa Fosfuri, 2000. "The Market for Technology in the Chemical Industry : Causes and Consequences," Revue d'Économie Industrielle, Programme National Persée, vol. 92(1), pages 317-334.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:respol:v:37:y:2008:i:9:p:1548-1555. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.