Solar thermal heat engines for water pumping: An update
Solar thermal-driven heat engines for water pumping have been previously reviewed for some authors in the past century. However, some devices have not been treated as metal hydride-based systems or the pumping subsystems of solar thermal-driven reverse osmosis desalination systems. Following the typical classification given in the previous literature, in this work an update of the solar heat engines for water pumping based in thermodynamic methods (conventional and unconventional) is presented. Besides small remarks about systems previously quoted by other authors, new designs found in the literature are described. In general, the main characteristics of these systems is their low efficiency, low power output and, in the case of unconventional designs, its simplicity. This work in conjunction with previous review papers make up reference point for the knowledge of the use of solar thermal energy for liquid pumping purpose.
Volume (Year): 13 (2009)
Issue (Month): 2 (February)
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/600126/description#description|
|Order Information:|| Postal: http://www.elsevier.com/wps/find/journaldescription.cws_home/600126/bibliographic|
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Youm, I. & Sarr, J. & Sall, M. & Kane, M. M., 2000. "Renewable energy activities in Senegal: a review," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 4(1), pages 75-89, March.
- Sumathy, K. & Venkatesh, A. & Sriramulu, V., 1994. "Heat-transfer analysis of a flat-plate collector in a solar thermal pump," Energy, Elsevier, vol. 19(9), pages 983-991.
- Klüppel, Rogerio P. & Gurgel, JoséMaurício M., 1998. "Thermodynamic cycle of a liquid piston pump," Renewable Energy, Elsevier, vol. 13(2), pages 261-268.
- Sumathy, K. & Venkatesh, A. & Sriramulu, V., 1996. "A solar thermal water pump," Applied Energy, Elsevier, vol. 53(3), pages 235-243.
- Wong, Y. W. & Sumathy, K., 1999. "Solar thermal water pumping systems: a review," Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews, Elsevier, vol. 3(2-3), pages 185-217, June.
- Wong, Y.W & Sumathy, K, 2001. "Performance of a solar water pump with ethyl ether as working fluid," Renewable Energy, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 389-394.
- Sumathy, K. & Venkatesh, A. & Sriramulu, V., 1996. "Experimental studies on heat transfer in the flat-plate collector of a solar pump," Renewable Energy, Elsevier, vol. 9(1), pages 645-648.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:rensus:v:13:y:2009:i:2:p:462-472. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.