Measurement errors in a spatial context
Measurement error in an independent variable is one reason why OLS estimates may not be consistent. However, as shown by Dagenais (1994), in some circumstances the OLS bias may be ameliorated somewhat given the presence of serially correlated disturbances, and OLS may prove superior to standard techniques used to correct for serial correlation. This paper considers the case of cross-sectional regression models with measurement errors in the explanatory variables and with spatial dependence. The study focuses on the evidence provided by an empirical illustration and Monte Carlo experiments examining measurement error impact in the presence of autoregressive error processes and autoregressive spatial lags.
Volume (Year): 42 (2012)
Issue (Month): 1-2 ()
|Contact details of provider:|| Web page: http://www.elsevier.com/locate/regec|
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bernard Fingleton & Julie Le Gallo, 2008. "Estimating spatial models with endogenous variables, a spatial lag and spatially dependent disturbances: Finite sample properties," Papers in Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 87(3), pages 319-339, 08.
- N. Gregory Mankiw & David Romer & David N. Weil, 1992.
"A Contribution to the Empirics of Economic Growth,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
Oxford University Press, vol. 107(2), pages 407-437.
- Baltagi, Badi H. & Liu, Long, 2009. "Spatial lag test with equal weights," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 104(2), pages 81-82, August.
- Kelejian, Harry H. & Prucha, Ingmar R., 2007. "HAC estimation in a spatial framework," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 140(1), pages 131-154, September.
- Peter Kennedy, 2003. "A Guide to Econometrics, 5th Edition," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 5, volume 1, number 026261183x, March.
- Grether, D M & Maddala, G S, 1973.
"Errors in Variables and Serially Correlated Disturbances in Distributed Lag Models,"
Econometric Society, vol. 41(2), pages 255-62, March.
- Grether, David M. & Maddala, G. S., . "Errors in Variables and Serially Correlated Disturbances in Distributed Lag Models," Working Papers 6, California Institute of Technology, Division of the Humanities and Social Sciences.
- Dagenais, Marcel G., 1994. "Parameter estimation in regression models with errors in the variables and autocorrelated disturbances," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 64(1-2), pages 145-163.
- Bernard Fingleton, 2003. "Increasing returns: evidence from local wage rates in Great Britain," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 55(4), pages 716-739, October.
- Sandy Dall'erba & Julie Le Gallo, 2003.
"Regional Convergence And The Impact Of European Structural Funds Over 1989-1999: A Spatial Econometric Analysis,"
0310005, EconWPA, revised 12 Feb 2004.
- Sandy Dall'erba & Julie Le Gallo, 2008. "Regional convergence and the impact of European structural funds over 1989-1999: A spatial econometric analysis," Papers in Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 87(2), pages 219-244, 06.
- Sandy Dall'Erba & Julie Le Gallo, 2008. "Regional convergence and the impact of European structural funds over 1989-1999 : a spatial econometric analysis," Post-Print hal-00485031, HAL.
- Jonathan R. W. Temple, 1998. "Robustness tests of the augmented Solow model," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 13(4), pages 361-375.
- Luc Anselin & Nancy Lozano-Gracia, 2008. "Errors in variables and spatial effects in hedonic house price models of ambient air quality," Empirical Economics, Springer, vol. 34(1), pages 5-34, February.
- J. Barkley Rosser, 2009. "Introduction," Chapters, in: Handbook of Research on Complexity, chapter 1 Edward Elgar Publishing.
- Harry H. Kelejian & Ingmar R. Prucha, 1995.
"A Generalized Moments Estimator for the Autoregressive Parameter in a Spatial Model,"
Electronic Working Papers
95-001, University of Maryland, Department of Economics, revised Mar 1997.
- Kelejian, Harry H & Prucha, Ingmar R, 1999. "A Generalized Moments Estimator for the Autoregressive Parameter in a Spatial Model," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 40(2), pages 509-33, May.
- Daniel Griffith & Jean Paelinck, 2007. "An equation by any other name is still the same: on spatial econometrics and spatial statistics," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer;Western Regional Science Association, vol. 41(1), pages 209-227, March.
- Stanislav Stakhovych & Tammo H.A. Bijmolt, 2009. "Specification of spatial models: A simulation study on weights matrices," Papers in Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 88(2), pages 389-408, 06.
- Lung-Fei Lee, 2004. "Asymptotic Distributions of Quasi-Maximum Likelihood Estimators for Spatial Autoregressive Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 72(6), pages 1899-1925, November.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:regeco:v:42:y:2012:i:1:p:114-125. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.