Put your money where your mouth is: Do financial firms follow their own recommendations?
In this paper, we explore how US financial firms trade relative to their own equity analyst recommendations. In the quarter-of and that immediately follow a recommendation, firm trades are significantly positively related to recommendation changes. This relation is robust to controls for sub-sample effects, return/momentum related phenomena, size effects, controls for consensus recommendation, and other data normalizations. Our results show that financial firm trades are consistent with their analysts' research and recommendations, despite recent conjecture to the contrary.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- S.G. Badrinath & Sunil Wahal, 2002. "Momentum Trading by Institutions," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 57(6), pages 2449-2478, December.
- Kee H. Chung, 2000. "Marketing of Stocks by BrokerageFirms: The Role of Financial Analysts," Financial Management, Financial Management Association, vol. 29(2), Summer.
- Fama, Eugene F & MacBeth, James D, 1973. "Risk, Return, and Equilibrium: Empirical Tests," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 81(3), pages 607-36, May-June.
- Li, Xi, 2005. "The persistence of relative performance in stock recommendations of sell-side financial analysts," Journal of Accounting and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 40(1-3), pages 129-152, December.
- Brad Barber, 2001. "Can Investors Profit from the Prophets? Security Analyst Recommendations and Stock Returns," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 56(2), pages 531-563, 04.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:quaeco:v:49:y:2009:i:3:p:1095-1112. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.