The social cost of labor and project evaluation: A general approach
This paper develops a general methodology for analyzing shadow wage (and other shadow prices). Our approach is to identify those reduced form relationships describing the economy which are central to the determination of the shadow wage, and use these to obtain simple formulae for the shadow wage. Among the aspects of the economy on which we focus are: (i) the difference between the domestic and international prices, (ii) the equilibrating mechanisms in the economy, (iii) the mechanisms which determine earnings of industrial and agricultural workers, (iv) the nature of migration, and (vi) the intertemporal trade-offs and the attitudes towards inequality. These aspects are modelled in a general manner, which can be specialized to a number of alternative hypotheses concerning technology, behavioral postulates, and institutional settings. Most earlier results on the shadow wages are derived as special cases of our formulae. In addition, we identify a number of new qualitative results concerning the relationship between the shadow wage and the market wage.
(This abstract was borrowed from another version of this item.)
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Sen, Amartya K, 1972. "Control Areas and Accounting Prices: An Approach to Economic Evaluation," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 82(325), pages 486-501, Supplemen.
- Marchand, Maurice & Mintz, Jack & Pestieau, Pierre, 1985.
"Public production and shadow pricing in a model of disequilibrium in labour and capital markets,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 36(2), pages 237-256, August.
- MARCHAND, Maurice & MINTZ, Jack & PESTIEAU, Pierre, . "Public production and shadow pricing in a model of disequilibirum in labour and capital markets," CORE Discussion Papers RP -659, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Benassy Jean-pascal, 1974.
"Neokeynesian disequilibrium theory in a monetary economy,"
CEPREMAP Working Papers (Couverture Orange)
- Benassy, Jean-Pascal, 1975. "Neo-Keynesian Disequilibrium Theory in a Monetary Economy," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 42(4), pages 503-23, October.
- Stern, Nicholas H, 1972. "Optimum Development in a Dual Economy," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 39(2), pages 171-84, April.
- Roberts, Kevin W S, 1982. "Desirable Fiscal Policies under Keynesian Unemployment," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 34(1), pages 1-22, March.
- Heady, Christopher John, 1981. "Shadow Wages and Induced Migration," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 33(1), pages 108-21, March.
- Newbery, David, 1974. "The Robustness of Equilibrium Analysis in the Dual Economy," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 26(1), pages 32-41, March.
- Dixit, Avinash, 1971. "Short-run Equilibrium and Shadow Prices in the Dual Economy," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 23(3), pages 384-400, November.
- Blitzer, Charles & Dasgupta, Partha & Stiglitz, Joseph, 1981. "Project Appraisal and Foreign Exchange Constraints," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 91(361), pages 58-74, March.
- Dixit, Avinash & Stern, Nicholas, 1974. "Determinants of Shadow Prices in Open Dual Economies," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 26(1), pages 42-53, March.
- Newbery, David M G, 1972. "Public Policy in the Dual Economy," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 82(326), pages 567-90, June.
- Harris, John R & Todaro, Michael P, 1970. "Migration, Unemployment & Development: A Two-Sector Analysis," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 60(1), pages 126-42, March.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:pubeco:v:28:y:1985:i:2:p:135-163. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.