Comparison of a new bootstrapping method with parametric approaches for safety stock determination in service parts inventory systems
In this paper, we address the problem of forecasting and managing the inventory of service parts where the demand patterns are highly intermittent. Currently, there are two classes of methods for determining the safety stock for the intermittent item: the parametric and bootstrapping approaches. Viswanathan and Zhou (2008) developed an improved bootstrapping based method and showed through computational experiments that this is superior to the method by Willemain et al. (2004). In this paper, we compare this new bootstrapping method with the parametric methods of Babai and Syntetos (2007). Our computational results show that the bootstrapping method performs better with randomly generated data sets, where there is a large amount of (simulated) historical data to generate the distribution. On the other hand, with real industry data sets, the parametric method seems to perform better than the bootstrapping method.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Syntetos, Aris A. & Boylan, John E., 2005. "The accuracy of intermittent demand estimates," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 21(2), pages 303-314.
- Syntetos, A. A. & Boylan, J. E., 2001. "On the bias of intermittent demand estimates," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 71(1-3), pages 457-466, May.
- Willemain, Thomas R. & Smart, Charles N. & Shockor, Joseph H. & DeSautels, Philip A., 1994. "Forecasting intermittent demand in manufacturing: a comparative evaluation of Croston's method," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 10(4), pages 529-538, December.
- Willemain, Thomas R. & Smart, Charles N. & Schwarz, Henry F., 2004. "A new approach to forecasting intermittent demand for service parts inventories," International Journal of Forecasting, Elsevier, vol. 20(3), pages 375-387.
- Leven, Erik & Segerstedt, Anders, 2004. "Inventory control with a modified Croston procedure and Erlang distribution," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 90(3), pages 361-367, August.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:proeco:v:133:y:2011:i:1:p:481-485. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.