Streamlining inventory flows with time discounts to improve the profits of a decentralized supply chain
We consider a decentralized supply chain, whereby a supplier sells a product to a group of independent buyers, and develop a strategy for the supplier to offer an all-units price discount or cash rebate for orders that are synchronized with its replenishments. As synchronized orders can be met with inventory directly from receiving to shipping without warehousing, the proposed strategy streamlines system inventory flows to minimize inventory and, hence, the related costs. On the other hand, by increasing the replenishment interval of the supplier, the proposed strategy is able to induce buyers to order in large quantities and hence achieve the objectives of quantity discounts. We show that the proposed strategy can achieve nearly optimal (minimum) system cost, and is much more effective than the existing coordination strategies for decentralized supply chains in the literature.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- James P. Monahan, 1984. "A Quantity Discount Pricing Model to Increase Vendor Profits," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 30(6), pages 720-726, June.
- Qinan Wang, 2001. "Coordinating Independent Buyers in a Distribution System to Increase a Vendor's Profits," Manufacturing & Service Operations Management, INFORMS, vol. 3(4), pages 337-348, May.
- John A. Muckstadt & Robin O. Roundy, 1987. "Multi-Item, One-Warehouse, Multi-Retailer Distribution Systems," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 33(12), pages 1613-1621, December.
- Paul Iyogun & Derek Atkins, 1993. "A Lower Bound and an Efficient Heuristic for Multistage Multiproduct Distribution Systems," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 39(2), pages 204-217, February.
- Stephen C. Graves & Leroy B. Schwarz, 1977. "Single Cycle Continuous Review Policies for Arborescent Production/Inventory Systems," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 23(5), pages 529-540, January.
- Fangruo Chen & Awi Federgruen & Yu-Sheng Zheng, 2001. "Coordination Mechanisms for a Distribution System with One Supplier and Multiple Retailers," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 47(5), pages 693-708, May.
- Leroy B. Schwarz, 1973. "A Simple Continuous Review Deterministic One-Warehouse N-Retailer Inventory Problem," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 19(5), pages 555-566, January.
- Nihat Altintas & Feryal Erhun & Sridhar Tayur, 2008. "Quantity Discounts Under Demand Uncertainty," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 54(4), pages 777-792, April.
- Li, Xiuhui & Wang, Qinan, 2007. "Coordination mechanisms of supply chain systems," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 179(1), pages 1-16, May.
- Robin Roundy, 1985. "98%-Effective Integer-Ratio Lot-Sizing for One-Warehouse Multi-Retailer Systems," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 31(11), pages 1416-1430, November.
- Hau L. Lee & Meir J. Rosenblatt, 1986. "A Generalized Quantity Discount Pricing Model to Increase Supplier's Profits," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 32(9), pages 1177-1185, September.
- Viswanathan, S. & Piplani, Rajesh, 2001. "Coordinating supply chain inventories through common replenishment epochs," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 129(2), pages 277-286, March.
- Z. Kevin Weng, 1995. "Channel Coordination and Quantity Discounts," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 41(9), pages 1509-1522, September.
- Robert J. Dolan, 1987. "Quantity Discounts: Managerial Issues and Research Opportunities," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 6(1), pages 1-22.
- Arshinder & Kanda, Arun & Deshmukh, S.G., 2008. "Supply chain coordination: Perspectives, empirical studies and research directions," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 115(2), pages 316-335, October.
- Peter L. Jackson & William L. Maxwell & John A. Muckstadt, 1988. "Determining Optimal Reorder Intervals in Capacitated Production-Distribution Systems," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 34(8), pages 938-958, August.
- Robin Roundy, 1989. "Rounding Off to Powers of Two in Continuous Relaxations of Capacitated Lot Sizing Problems," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 35(12), pages 1433-1442, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:proeco:v:132:y:2011:i:2:p:230-239. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.