On risk and cost in global sourcing
The benefits of global sourcing as part of a firm's purchasing strategy have been widely discussed in the academic literature, yet so there are few models that provide a comprehensive risk and cost assessment to guide managerial decision-making. In particular, few models capture the dynamic nature of many cost drivers, such as transportation and energy cost, labour cost inflation, or carbon offset costs, in their calculations. In this paper, we define three basic cost elements in global sourcing: static, dynamic and hidden cost, and use this framework to assess the costs and risks inherent in global sourcing scenarios from three different points of view: conceptually, analytically and empirically. We highlight the key learning points from each perspective and propose a total cost model of how to make informed global sourcing decisions, which we test by applying it to three exploratory case studies of global sourcing arrangements.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Pol Antras & Elhanan Helpman, 2003.
Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers
2005, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Antras, Pol & Helpman, Elhanan, 2004. "Global Sourcing," Scholarly Articles 3196327, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Antràs, Pol & Helpman, Elhanan, 2004. "Global Sourcing," CEPR Discussion Papers 4170, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Pol Antràs & Elhanan Helpman, 2003. "Global Sourcing," NBER Working Papers 10082, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Edward L. Glaeser & Janet E. Kohlhase, 2003.
"Cities, Regions and the Decline of Transport Costs,"
Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers
2014, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Edward Glaeser & Janet Kohlhase, 2003. "Cities, regions and the decline of transport costs," Economics of Governance, Springer, vol. 83(1), pages 197-228, October.
- Edward Glaeser & Janet Kohlhase, 2003. "Cities, regions and the decline of transport costs," Papers in Regional Science, Springer, vol. 83(1), pages 197-228, October.
- Edward L. Glaeser & Janet E. Kohlhase, 2003. "Cities, Regions and the Decline of Transport Costs," NBER Working Papers 9886, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- repec:hrv:faseco:4784029 is not listed on IDEAS
- Cavusgil, S. Tamer & Yaprak, Attila & Yeoh, Poh-Lin, 1993. "A decision-making framework for global sourcing," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 2(2), pages 143-156.
- Liu, Fuh-Hwa Franklin & Hai, Hui Lin, 2005. "The voting analytic hierarchy process method for selecting supplier," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 97(3), pages 308-317, September.
- David L Levy, 1995. "International Sourcing and Supply Chain Stability," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 26(2), pages 343-360, June.
- Weber, Charles A. & Current, John R. & Benton, W. C., 1991. "Vendor selection criteria and methods," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 50(1), pages 2-18, January.
- Nassimbeni, Guido, 2006. "International sourcing: Empirical evidence from a sample of Italian firms," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 103(2), pages 694-706, October.
- Fink, Carsten & Mattoo, Aaditya & Neagu, Ileana Cristina, 2005.
"Assessing the impact of communication costs on international trade,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 67(2), pages 428-445, December.
- Fink, Carsten & Mattoo, Aaditya & Neagu, Ileana Cristina, 2002. "Assessing the impact of communication costs on international trade," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2929, The World Bank.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:proeco:v:131:y:2011:i:1:p:333-341. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.