Final Supplier Selection System in Military Critical Items
The financial plans of the Greek Ministry of Defense (MoD) for the year 2013 include a big amount of money in support of the national defense system. Nevertheless, comparing MoD’s annual budgets of the last two years, we can see that in 2013 less money than in 2012 were allocated to the MoD by the Government. This budgetary reduction could lead to the need for improvement in all phases of MoD’s function so that with limited resources, an even better result can be achieved. Supplier selection procedures could not be an exception, especially when it comes to critical supplies and services. Selecting Suppliers in military Critical Safety Items has multi-level features and many factors get involved. This paper develops a conceptual evaluation model based on Public Procurement Law in Defence (3978/2011), Analytic Hierarchy Process and Fuzzy Technique Order Performance by Similarity Ideal Solution. Multivariate Statistical Analysis (i.e. Principal Component Analysis, Factor Analysis and Cluster Analysis) and Quality tools are added to the model, while Business Intelligence/Competitive Intelligence is proposed as an additional tool to deal with the strong competitive environment of our days in a worldwide level. The use of Voronoi diagrams is also suggested as a technique that could affect criteria which are linked with the location of a potential supplier. We believe that the proposed model could end up in improving supplier selection procedures as it integrates contemporary approaches seen in the relevant academic literature with some of the particularities of the Armed Forces.
Volume (Year): 62 (2012)
Issue (Month): 1-2 (January - June)
|Contact details of provider:|| Postal: CDM - CEMI, Odyssea, Station 5, CH - 1015 Lausanne|
Phone: +41 21 693 0036
Fax: +41 21 693 0020
Web page: http://spoudai.unipi.gr
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Cheng, Ching-Hsue & Yang, Kuo-Lung & Hwang, Chia-Lung, 1999. "Evaluating attack helicopters by AHP based on linguistic variable weight," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 116(2), pages 423-435, July.
- Weber, Charles A. & Current, John R. & Benton, W. C., 1991. "Vendor selection criteria and methods," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 50(1), pages 2-18, January.
- Bottani, Eleonora & Rizzi, Antonio, 2008. "An adapted multi-criteria approach to suppliers and products selection--An application oriented to lead-time reduction," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 111(2), pages 763-781, February.
- Liu, Fuh-Hwa Franklin & Hai, Hui Lin, 2005. "The voting analytic hierarchy process method for selecting supplier," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 97(3), pages 308-317, September.
- Degraeve, Zeger & Labro, Eva & Roodhooft, Filip, 2000. "An evaluation of vendor selection models from a total cost of ownership perspective," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 125(1), pages 34-58, August.
- Verma, Rohit & Pullman, Madeleine E., 1998. "An analysis of the supplier selection process," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 26(6), pages 739-750, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:spd:journl:v:62:y:2012:i:1-2:p:28-46. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (SPOUDAI Journal of Economics and Business)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.