An integrated fuzzy-goal-programming-based framework for selecting suppliers in strategic alliance formation
There has been an exponential growth in the number of strategic alliances formed in the last decade between manufacturers and their suppliers. Yet 60-70% of these alliances fail in their first year. One of the reasons for such failure is the incompatibility of members of the alliance. Hence, there is a need for a tool to help decision makers to rate the compatibility of potential partners in a strategic alliance. This paper fulfills this requirement by presenting an integrated method for rating the compatibility of potential members of a strategic alliance. The method utilizes a model based on fuzzy logic/goal programming to analyze the vague, imprecise, and usually subjective information regarding the compatibility of potential suppliers that is available during the early formation of a strategic partnership. A sample case study is presented to demonstrate the application of the framework.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ariño, Africa & Doz, Yves, 2000. "Rescuing troubled alliances... before it's too late," European Management Journal, Elsevier, vol. 18(2), pages 173-182, April.
- Chen, Chen-Tung & Lin, Ching-Torng & Huang, Sue-Fn, 2006. "A fuzzy approach for supplier evaluation and selection in supply chain management," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 102(2), pages 289-301, August.
- Amid, A. & Ghodsypour, S.H. & O'Brien, C., 2006. "Fuzzy multiobjective linear model for supplier selection in a supply chain," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 104(2), pages 394-407, December.
- Nepal, Bimal & Monplaisir, Leslie & Singh, Nanua, 2005. "Integrated fuzzy logic-based model for product modularization during concept development phase," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 96(2), pages 157-174, May.
- Tsang, Eric W. K., 1998. "Motives for strategic alliance: A resource-based perspective," Scandinavian Journal of Management, Elsevier, vol. 14(3), pages 207-221, March.
- Bitran, Iain & Bitran, Joseph & Conn, Steffen & Nagel, Arie & Nicholls, Harry, 2002. "SMART: System for the development, management and support of strategic alliances," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 80(1), pages 3-10, November.
- Bruner, Robert & Spekman, Robert, 1998. "The dark side of alliances:: Lessons from Volvo-Renault," European Management Journal, Elsevier, vol. 16(2), pages 136-150, April.
- Weber, Charles A. & Current, John R., 1993. "A multiobjective approach to vendor selection," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 68(2), pages 173-184, July.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:proeco:v:113:y:2008:i:2:p:862-875. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Dana Niculescu)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.