Integrated scheduling of handling equipment at automated container terminals
To improve the productivities of an automated container terminal, it is important to schedule different types of handling equipment in an integrated way. A mixed-integer programming model, which considers various constraints related to the integrated operations between different types of handling equipment, is formulated. This study proposes a heuristic method, called multi-layer genetic algorithm (MLGA) to obtain the near-optimal solution of the integrated scheduling problem and an improved heuristic algorithm, called genetic algorithm plus maximum matching (GAPM), to reduce the computation complexity of the MLGA method. The performance of GAPM is also compared with that of the MLGA method.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- repec:spr:compst:v:49:y:1999:i:3:p:501-515 is not listed on IDEAS
- Meersmans, P.J.M. & Wagelmans, A.P.M., 2001. "Effective algorithms for integrated scheduling of handling equipment at automated container terminals," ERIM Report Series Research in Management ERS-2001-36-LIS, Erasmus Research Institute of Management (ERIM), ERIM is the joint research institute of the Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University and the Erasmus School of Economics (ESE) at Erasmus University Rotterdam.
- Nishimura, Etsuko & Imai, Akio & Papadimitriou, Stratos, 2005. "Yard trailer routing at a maritime container terminal," Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Elsevier, vol. 41(1), pages 53-76, January.
- Vis, Iris F. A. & de Koster, Rene, 2003. "Transshipment of containers at a container terminal: An overview," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 147(1), pages 1-16, May.
- Van Hee, K. M. & Huitink, B. & Leegwater, D. K., 1988. "PORTPLAN, decision support system for port terminals," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 34(3), pages 249-261, March.
- Nishimura, Etsuko & Imai, Akio & Papadimitriou, Stratos, 2001. "Berth allocation planning in the public berth system by genetic algorithms," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 131(2), pages 282-292, June.
- Young Kim, Ki & Hwan Kim, Kap, 1999. "A routing algorithm for a single straddle carrier to load export containers onto a containership," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 59(1-3), pages 425-433, March.
- Meersmans, P.J.M. & Wagelmans, A.P.M., 2001. "Dynamic Scheduling of Handling Equipment at Automated Container Terminals," ERIM Report Series Research in Management ERS-2001-69-LIS, Erasmus Research Institute of Management (ERIM), ERIM is the joint research institute of the Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University and the Erasmus School of Economics (ESE) at Erasmus University Rotterdam.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:proeco:v:112:y:2008:i:2:p:665-682. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamier, Wendy)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.