Integrated scheduling of crane handling and truck transportation in a maritime container terminal
This paper studies the interactions between crane handling and truck transportation in a maritime container terminal by addressing them simultaneously. Yard trucks are shared among different ships, which helps to reduce empty truck trips in the terminal area. The problem is formulated as a constraint programming model and a three-stage algorithm is developed. At the first stage, crane schedules are generated by a heuristic method. At the second stage, the multiple-truck routing problem is solved based on the precedence relations of the transportation tasks derived from the first stage. At the last stage a complete solution is constructed by using a disjunctive graph. The three procedures are linked by an iterative structure, which facilitates the search for a good solution. The computational results indicate that the three-stage algorithm is effective for finding high-quality solutions and can efficiently solve large problems.
If you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Kim, Kap Hwan & Park, Young-Man, 2004. "A crane scheduling method for port container terminals," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 156(3), pages 752-768, August.
- Lee, Der-Horng & Wang, Hui Qiu & Miao, Lixin, 2008. "Quay crane scheduling with non-interference constraints in port container terminals," Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Elsevier, vol. 44(1), pages 124-135, January.
- Young Kim, Ki & Hwan Kim, Kap, 1999. "A routing algorithm for a single straddle carrier to load export containers onto a containership," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 59(1-3), pages 425-433, March.
- Zhang, Chuqian & Wan, Yat-wah & Liu, Jiyin & Linn, Richard J., 2002. "Dynamic crane deployment in container storage yards," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 36(6), pages 537-555, July.
- Vis, Iris F. A. & de Koster, Rene, 2003. "Transshipment of containers at a container terminal: An overview," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 147(1), pages 1-16, May.
- Ng, W. C., 2005. "Crane scheduling in container yards with inter-crane interference," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 164(1), pages 64-78, July.
- Cao, Jin Xin & Lee, Der-Horng & Chen, Jiang Hang & Shi, Qixin, 2010. "The integrated yard truck and yard crane scheduling problem: Benders' decomposition-based methods," Transportation Research Part E: Logistics and Transportation Review, Elsevier, vol. 46(3), pages 344-353, May.
- Bierwirth, Christian & Meisel, Frank, 2010. "A survey of berth allocation and quay crane scheduling problems in container terminals," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 202(3), pages 615-627, May.
- Lee, Der-Horng & Cao, Zhi & Meng, Qiang, 2007. "Scheduling of two-transtainer systems for loading outbound containers in port container terminals with simulated annealing algorithm," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 107(1), pages 115-124, May.
- Kim, Kap Hwan & Kim, Hong Bae, 2002. "The optimal sizing of the storage space and handling facilities for import containers," Transportation Research Part B: Methodological, Elsevier, vol. 36(9), pages 821-835, November.
- Bish, Ebru K., 2003. "A multiple-crane-constrained scheduling problem in a container terminal," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 144(1), pages 83-107, January.
- Chen, Lu & Bostel, Nathalie & Dejax, Pierre & Cai, Jianguo & Xi, Lifeng, 2007. "A tabu search algorithm for the integrated scheduling problem of container handling systems in a maritime terminal," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 181(1), pages 40-58, August.
- Khayat, Ghada El & Langevin, Andre & Riopel, Diane, 2006. "Integrated production and material handling scheduling using mathematical programming and constraint programming," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 175(3), pages 1818-1832, December.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:ejores:v:225:y:2013:i:1:p:142-152. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.