A Bayesian approach to determine the value of information in the newsboy problem
The potential benefits of demand forecasting in a newsboy problem are to decrease the risk of overstocking or shortage, but forecasting is usually not free. In this paper, a model to help the decision-maker in a newsboy problem to assess the value of information is presented. First, two cases on available demand information are considered to develop an upper bound of the cost that the decision-maker would spend on forecasting. Then, a Bayesian approach to forecasting is proposed and EVAI, the expected value of additional information, is computed to help the decision-maker in deciding whether to use the extra information. Finally, the relationship between the EVAI and model parameters is discussed.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Wallace B. Crowston & Warren H. Hausman & William R. Kampe, II, 1973. "Multistage Production for Stochastic Seasonal Demand," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 19(8), pages 924-935, April.
- George R. Murray, Jr. & Edward A. Silver, 1966. "A Bayesian Analysis of the Style Goods Inventory Problem," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 12(11), pages 785-797, July.
- Alfares, Hesham K. & Elmorra, Hassan H., 2005. "The distribution-free newsboy problem: Extensions to the shortage penalty case," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 93(1), pages 465-477, January.
- Mostard, Julien & de Koster, Rene & Teunter, Ruud, 2005. "The distribution-free newsboy problem with resalable returns," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 97(3), pages 329-342, September.
- Khouja, Moutaz, 1999. "The single-period (news-vendor) problem: literature review and suggestions for future research," Omega, Elsevier, vol. 27(5), pages 537-553, October.
- Hill, Roger M., 1997. "Applying Bayesian methodology with a uniform prior to the single period inventory model," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 98(3), pages 555-562, May.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:proeco:v:112:y:2008:i:1:p:391-402. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.