An equity-efficiency trade-off in a geometric approach to committee selection
The trade-off between equity and efficiency is analyzed in a geometric framework for the problem of committee selection, which has recently attracted interest in the social choice literature. It is shown that this trade-off can be maximal in the precise sense of the antipodality of the outcomes corresponding to the rules implementing the two normative principles. Following an approach in location theory, the minimization of the convex combination of the two criteria is presented as a compromise solution.
References listed on IDEAS
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Anna Bogomolnaïa & Jean-François Laslier, 2004.
- Christian Klamler & Daniel Eckert, 2008. "Antipodality in committee selection," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 4(1), pages 1-5.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521608664 is not listed on IDEAS
- Thibault Gajdos & Feriel Kandil, 2008.
"The ignorant observer,"
Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers)
- Thibault Gajdos & Feriel Kandil, 2006. "The Ignorant Observer," Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) halshs-00115722, HAL.
- Thibault Gajdos & Feriel Kandil, 2005. "The ignorant observer," Cahiers de la Maison des Sciences Economiques v06041, Université Panthéon-Sorbonne (Paris 1), revised Mar 2006.
- Hannu Nurmi, 2004. "A Comparison of Some Distance-Based Choice Rules in Ranking Environments," Theory and Decision, Springer, vol. 57(1), pages 5-24, 08.
- repec:ebl:ecbull:v:4:y:2008:i:1:p:1-5 is not listed on IDEAS
- Rubinstein, Ariel & Fishburn, Peter C., 1986. "Algebraic aggregation theory," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 38(1), pages 63-77, February.
- Buhl, Hans Ulrich, 1988. "Axiomatic considerations in multi-objective location theory," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 37(3), pages 363-367, December.
- Thomas C. Ratliff, 2002. "A comparison of Dodgson's method and the Borda count," Economic Theory, Springer, vol. 20(2), pages 357-372.
- Dokow, Elad & Holzman, Ron, 2010. "Aggregation of binary evaluations," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 145(2), pages 495-511, March.
- repec:cup:cbooks:9780521846295 is not listed on IDEAS
- Dokow, Elad & Holzman, Ron, 2010. "Aggregation of binary evaluations with abstentions," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 145(2), pages 544-561, March.
- Klamler, Christian, 2004. "The Dodgson ranking and the Borda count: a binary comparison," Mathematical Social Sciences, Elsevier, vol. 48(1), pages 103-108, July.
- Lehtinen, Aki, 2008. "The welfare consequences of strategic behaviour under approval and plurality voting," European Journal of Political Economy, Elsevier, vol. 24(3), pages 688-704, September.
- Sen, Amartya K, 1977. "On Weights and Measures: Informational Constraints in Social Welfare Analysis," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 45(7), pages 1539-72, October.
When requesting a correction, please mention this item's handle: RePEc:eee:poleco:v:26:y:2010:i:3:p:386-391. See general information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Zhang, Lei)
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.